No announcement yet.

Voice communication with the Messenger.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voice communication with the Messenger.

I am using a WLAN (Wireless LAN) Internet connection, with an ORINOCO IEEE 11 Mbit PC Card (5 Volt) in 802.11 Client modes at 400-600 (yes more than 512) kbps.
    The Internet Provider doesn’t allow setting up servers on the client machines and the ISP installed a firewall on the server.
    The clients are not allowed to manipulate this firewall, so I can’t do anything.
    Because of this central firewall the MSN Messenger (4.6 or later) can’t be used for voice communication.
    I tried AOL AIM95 sometimes and I remember that I was able to start a voice chat with it, but not with the Messenger.
    I did not try ICQ because some of my friends will use the Messenger only.
    How can I come around this problem? Any ideas? Maybe I could ask the ISP to open some few ports. He is prepared to open one or a couple of ports.
    Any suggestions which one? How can I configure the Messenger?

Fred H
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
    ------------------------------------------------

First, I don't think it's really Messenger. I'm pretty sure Messenger just fires up NetMeeting, so that's where your efforts should be.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Messenger just fires up NetMeeting,
      Yes, it should, but it doesn't automatically.
      The NetMeeting could be a solution. I can see the target IP addresses too.
      Unfortunately, one of my chat partners runs the Messenger to voice communicate, via his ADSL, with other of his friends, and he has some difficulties to test a little more "complicated" things. Like to seek and read my IP no. in the NM. He will (read: can) not handle NM, so there we are.
      On the other site, some advanced M$ help for the Messenger tells about the firewall issues. It says that a lot of ports from 6??? Up to 65536 most be opened, which my ISP is not prepared to do.
      The same thing shows when one of us sends a voice comm. request in the Messenger. It answers that one of us is behind a firewall.
      This problem is true for video communication too.
      There is no problem via the phone modem, except the speed. But the broadband firewall stops all audio/video chat.

Fred H
      Last edited by Fred H; 8 February 2003, 04:30.

Comment

Netbeating blows massive networking chunks. Bleh eYuk icky icky

Try Buddyphone... or I'm sure Sasq has something else up his sleeve
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The old version of buddyphone (v2) I'm sure it can be dug up somewhere uses port 700 only. works a treat.
          Or we've been testing teamspeak on the murc irc server. that works well group things

Dan
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Buddyphone is a way. I tested it las year. It has its pros and cons, but it worked.
            Group "things" are not for me.
            Thanks for ideas.
            Fred H
            Last edited by Fred H; 8 February 2003, 06:50.

Comment

stay away from ver 4.xx of buddyphone though. version 2 hasn't been available for download for 18 months or so, so it depends on which you tried.
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Teamspeak? I never liked that, everybody sounds like crap. Still a BattleCom fan.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Sorry, I was wrong but it was a long time ago...
                  I tested Teamspeak, not Buddyphone as I said, and I didn’t like Teamspeak.
                  My friend is using Teamspeak (besides the Messenger) and therefore I tested it with him.

You said, stay away from Buddyphone ver.4.0. Okay, thanks.

I just downloaded ver. 2.06 here:

Is it OK to try?

Fred H

Comment

I'm pretty sure Messenger just fires up NetMeeting
                    I just discovered that my Messenger (4.6) included in WinXP can’t start up NetMeeting.
                    I recall that in W2000 I could start NM from Messenger but in XP it is gone.
                    However, I run conf.exe in NetMeeting and now I can start it outside of the Messenger.
                    What am I doing wrong? Is it normal in XP?

Fred H

Comment

try speak freely. do a google search, I am currently in win98 and can't access my 40GB HD which has the url on it. It works very well and is totally free
                      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

try speak freely. do a google search
                        ??????????

Sorry, what do you mean?

Fred H

Comment

the latest teamspeak RC has gsm codecs built in, so everyone sounds more or less normal, yes the original teamspeak codecs are ermmm crud.

Teamspeak has the advantage that the client computer doesn't need to do anything on the firewall as it only uses a single port which is initiated at connect.

If you want to give teamspeak a test tho, I have a server set up here your welcome to test on - just pm me or pop into #murc and I'll give you the address.

Dan
                          Juu nin to iro

Comment

Thanks, Dan
                            Because my friend who uses the Teamspeak is connected to a server hi only knows, (utfreaks.homeip.net) I am forced to connect myself to the same server.
                            Why does he run Teamspeak with some of his friends and only the Messenger with others?
                            The reason is that there are some others who are connected via a firewall, like me.
                            We can’t use Messenger behind a firewall.
                            I prefer only private chat, but Teamspeak and utfreaks.homeip.net is not the safest place for this.
                            Therefore, when I went from Win2000 to XP, I did not install Teamspeak.
                            My final conclusion is that I CAN NOT audio/video communicate with the Messenger and not wit NetMeeting, neither, behind a firewall which I can't controll.
                            Thanks for helping, anyway.

Fred H

Comment

Working...
                            X