Problem with my router - help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with my router - help please?

I can't remember if I posted this before, but I couldn't find it in a search. Anyway, I just switched from Americrap dsl to AT&T cable modem and if I run the cable modem straight to my computer, it works just fine and is fast as hell. However, if I run it through my router (linksys with a built in firewall ) then it slows it down like MAD! I went from dl's around 250-300kbps depending on the site down to 5-kbps. This sucks ass. This happened with my dsl as well.

This same speed reduction happens with the firewall enabled/disabled - not sure if this matters....

Can you guys help me to get it all fixed up so I can use my router?

Thanks,

-Dimi
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

how's your linksys setup? how's your computer setup w/o the linksys?

otherwise, it's a bit vague

Comment

What is the model# of the linksys you have? Something doesn't sound right. At first I was thinking it was that you didn't set the hostname in the linksys, but AFAIK AT&T did away with hostnames. Maybe the still use it in some areas. I would make sure that you have the correct hostname configured in the linksys.
      Actually, now that I read your post again, you say it happens when you enable the winxp firewall? Hmmm...that is strange. It shouldn't slowdown your connection like that.

A couple of things:

1. Update your firmware on your linksys
      2. There is no need to run the winxp firewall if you are using NAT on the linksys.

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Sorry, been awhile since I posted for help on fori. I forgot what all I needed to say...

I'm running win2k and the router model is: BEFSX41

384 or so megs of ram.
        Parhelia Retail
        Athlon 800 no o/c anymore
        bicycle powered hard drive from the late 80's...

I have not set a hostname in the router. For some reason, I don't even have anything set up under connections from my internet options. I HAD something there, but not sure where it went to. But it seems to work fine as is as long as the router is not hooked up.

Ummm, atm I have the firewall in the router turned off and I'm not using any software firewall. I do have a popup filter if that is at all important.

Is there more info you guys need? Lemme know.

How do I update the firmware in my router!?!

Thanks,
        -Dimi
        "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
        --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

You can find your router's firmware here http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp?fwid=172

Instruction how to update firmware is included in the ZIP file.
          Good luck
          MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
          AMD Athlon 64 3200
          1024 MB PC3200 RAM
          WD 160 GB HDD
          2 x 80 GB Maxtor HDDs in RAID 1
          ATI 9500 64 Videocard
          Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
          Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM
          Windows XP Professional SP2

Comment

Is it running as a gateway or router, you can find out by opening this page in your browser assuming you've not changed the routers IP address :-

I would have thought gateway would be the correct choice for your setup.
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

It is running as a gateway. According to the Linksys help page, it should run as a gateway if it is "directly connected to the internet" - or something like that. It should act as a router if and only if there is another router somewhere else that is acting as a gateway. Or at least, this is my understanding of it.

Thanks, I forgot to mention that too

-Dimi
              --- Albert Einstein

Comment

1. Reset the Linksys. Get the latest BIOS, flash it, and then use the built-in "reset" utility to bring it back to factory specs.

2. Disable the WinXP firewall. If you MUST have a firewall, use Zone Alarm, which integrates with the Linksys (if you flash it with the Zone Alarm enabled firmware, your choice really).

3. Set the WinXP box to DHCP.

4. Reboot everything - router, PC, cable modem.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

If that doesn't work.....

From the Linksys knowledge base:

The following article will describe how to setup ATTBI/AT&T Broadband with a Linksys Router:

Connecting your cable modem to the Router

1. First connect directly to your Cable modem without the router and verify that you can get on line.
                  2. Once you've verified that you can get onto the internet without the router please proceed. If you can not please contact your ISP for further assistance.
                  3. Now unplug the Ethernet cable that connects to your Cable modem from the back of your computer.
                  4. Take the connection that you just unplugged from the back of your computer and connect it to the WAN port of the router.
                  5. Take a different Ethernet cable and plug it into port closest to the WAN port, or into the LAN port.
                  6. Look on the front of the router. The following lights should be illuminated:
                  - Power
                  - WAN Link
                  - Link/Act (On the port that you connected your computer to)
                  - Note If other lights other than Link/Act are illuminated on this port, that is normal
                  - You may have a few other lights illuminated depending on the model number router you have, but the 3 above must be illuminated for proper connection.
                  7. Hold the Reset button on the router for 30 seconds or more
                  8. Restart your computer

Checking the MAC address of your Computer

Please follow these steps from the computer that was connected directly to the internet with out the router. If you do not, then you may not be able to connect to the internet properly.

A. Windows 9x/ME
                  1. Click on the Start button and click on the Run option
                  2. When the "Run" window opens please type in winipcfg and click the OK button
                  3. When the "IP Configuration comes up" click on the gray box the black arrow and select your Ethernet card.
                  4. Please make note of the "Adapter Address"
                  B. Windows 2000/NT/XP
                  1. Click on the Start button and click on the Run option
                  2. When the "Run" window opens please type in cmd and click the OK button
                  3. When "Command Prompt" appears type in ipconfig /all
                  4. Please make note of the "Physical Address"

Configuring the Router
                  1. Go to your desktop and double click on Internet Explorer (Located on the Start Menu in Windows XP)
                  2. When "Internet Explorer" opens type http://192.168.1.1 into the "Address" bar and click on Go
                  3. The "Enter Network Password" window will appear.
                  4. Skip user name and type admin (admin is the default password) as the password, and click OK
                  5. By default the router will be set to Obtain an IP Address Automatically
                  6. Input ATTBI.com into "Domain Name"
                  7. Click on the Advanced tab
                  8. Click on the Mac Addr. Clone
                  9. When the page loads, input the Adapter/Physical Address you made earlier and input it into the proper fields.
                  10. Click Apply

Finishing the Setup
                  1. Shut down your PC
                  2. Unplug the power from the back of the router
                  3. Unplug the power from the modem
                  4. Wait for 30 second
                  5. Power up the modem
                  6. Wait for the lights to stop blinking
                  7. Power up the router
                  8. Start up your computer
                  9. Surf the internet

*Note: If you are still unable to get on to the internet please repeat from step 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                    1. Reset the Linksys. Get the latest BIOS, flash it, and then use the built-in "reset" utility to bring it back to factory specs.

2. Disable the WinXP firewall. If you MUST have a firewall, use Zone Alarm, which integrates with the Linksys (if you flash it with the Zone Alarm enabled firmware, your choice really).

3. Set the WinXP box to DHCP.

4. Reboot everything - router, PC, cable modem.

- Gurm
                    Make that Zone Alarm _PRO_. You can also integrate it with the PC-Cillin antivirus.

Comment

This does sound odd. With my Comcast cable service I can d/l at over 1490 kbps through my Linksys cable/dsl router. I'm also using a Linksys LNE100TX nic and a Surfboard SB3100 modem.

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks for all the info fellas.

I will try this stuff after my genetics final on Wednesday - I don't want to be tempted to fiddle with my computer when I've only got one day left before the final....
                        --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Good to see you again Dimitri!
                          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                          X