Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Launch bat file.

Simple thing.

I have four little batch files on my server to start up UT2003 servers depending on what gamemode I wanna play. For the life of me though I cannot launch these from the PC's on my network, only on the actual server.

There must be a way to remotely launch a batch file, without having to load any other software etc.

All win2k machines.

Help a lazy man out if you can, switching the input on my monitor and moving the server mouse is just too intensive.

Wouldn't it be easier to use the WebAdmin provided with the game to what you want? There is a tutorial here

Comment

I use webadmin to alter things when the server is actually running but I don't have UT running 24*7 and it is just that I want to be able to execute the batch files on my server from my other PC's

Comment

You could run terminal services... erm, although that isn't built into Win2k by default.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Go into services on the server and enable the telnet service. You can then connect to the machine through telnet and execute anything you like on the command line. I made a quick test.bat file that just launches notepad. It seems to launch in the background (not visible to the logged in user on the server), but it was in the task list, so it did work.

Worth a shot...
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

telnet service, terminal services. *shrug*
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Yeah, telnet is the simplest but you'll have the quirks too, or get some form of remote desktop software. (NetMeeting is a start )
              Last edited by Pace; 23 February 2003, 15:20.
              Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

NetMeeting is a start in the wrong direction IMHO

Rags

Comment

netmeeting... ieeee

horrid horrid netmeeting
                  "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

tightVNC

it's free and...well...tight

Comment

Yeah VNC isn't a half bad idea. Or run a SSH server.

Telnet is pretty insecure. Terminal services ain't much better. But if this is on your home lan behind a router/firewall then it's not such a problem, and telnet/term is easiest.

- Gurm

Comment

What's the diff between tightVNC and RealVNC?

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                          Go into services on the server and enable the telnet service. You can then connect to the machine through telnet and execute anything you like on the command line. I made a quick test.bat file that just launches notepad. It seems to launch in the background (not visible to the logged in user on the server), but it was in the task list, so it did work.
                          Yes, it should work. Only problem, in this way the game starts as a service (so it is unstoppable by task manager) and it's UI is invisible to user...
                          I think you need to change the Telnet service's properties to allow it to interact with the desktop.
                          Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                            What's the diff between tightVNC and RealVNC?
                            TightVNC uses better compression algorithms, tightVNC is significally faster than the normal VNC on dialup lines or slower internet connections. Also the local cursor feature of tightVNC is pretty usefull.
                            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

If you are a Trillian Pro user there is a plugin that will do just what you want. The "Remote control" plugin will allow you to execute programs and/or batch files on the target computer by sending an instant message. The plugin is somewhere between the alpha and beta stage but works great for me. Just establish a MSmessenger or AIM account to be used by the target computer ONLY. The plugin can be configured to accept commands from specific people on "it's" buddy list. You can even shutdown/reboot.

If you don't already use Trillian this may well justify the $25 US price for the "Pro" version and get what is probably the best/most versitile IM program out there.

Sorry the plugin feature is no implemented in the freeware version.

Just my $0.02
                              Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

Working...
                              X