Custom heat sinks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe some nice HDD coolers too.

And if you could fab enlinks and support brackets for the rear sway bar of a mazda protege mp3, you'll sell A LOT of them.

Comment

Originally posted by K6-III
      How about making rocket parts for John Carmack???
      I thaught that he was getting them from old Al Samoud ]['s......

RedRed
      Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Actually the kind of special equipment I've been looking for is something that combines the No-Vibes from Noise-Control (which is a bungee system to decouple the vibrations from the HDD to case) and a massive passive cooling system. That way I can get silent drives as well as not have to actually add another fan to cool a hot disk. And hopefully this whole setup should fit within a single 5 1/4 bay... if you could create that and still make a product that didn't cost as much as a new disk I sure would be first in line....

I might even get my job which sells PC components to start importing them as I'm sure there would be a marked for it....

Cobos
        My Specs
        AMD XP 1800+, MSI KT3 Ultra1, Matrox G400 32MB DH, IBM 9ES UW SCSI, Plextor 32X SCSI, Plextor 8x/2x CDRW SCSI, Toshiba 4.8X DVD ROM IDE, IBM 30GB 75GXP, IBM 60GB 60GXP, 120GB Maxtor 540X, Tekram DC390F UW, Santa Cruz Soundcard, Eizo 17'' F56 and Eizo 21'' T965' Selfmodded case with 2 PSU's.

Comment

Thanks folks, I've got a few things to research!
          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Personally, I would need some copper heatsinks for gfx core and ram.
            And then some copper northbridge heatsinks.

May be DDR heatspreader too?
            P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
            Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
            And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Re: Custom heat sinks?

Originally posted by gtforty
              Ok, I'm just throwing this idea around. I've just seperated from a partnership and have inherited a production capable CNC milling machine and all the acutraments as well as CAD/CAM s/w.
              Thriumps Motrcycle Inc. needs a CNC capable industry to build some parts of their engines.

And, with CNC you can do a lot of custom parts for motorcycle.
              Just for example, take a look at www.rizoma.it
              Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Hell....that's exactly what I need for my next LAN party...a completely Billet Computer case...1/4 Thick Aluminim, countersunk screwheads, radiussed lightening Cuts...then anodie each part a different color...a little Cold Cathode...oh yeah, it's all coming together...
                Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I remeber LASER cutting front face plate covers for a buddy in 22 gauge #4 finish stainless (brushed finish) and #10 finish (mirror).
                  These were thin enough to be laid over top existing cases and glued in place. AWSOME looking, just don't touch - fibgerprints were highly visible.
                  As for custom projects the following must be done:
                  -reverse engineer the old parts and produce drawings(simply measuring the old parts) or surface data (LASER scanning or CNC digitizing with CMM)
                  or just designing from scratch and redesigning as needed.
                  - choose materials (do you really need 70 series aluminum for a case or heatsink) remebering the cost factor.
                  - you need to come up with a method to hold/fixture the parts while machining, sometimes this becomes cost prohibitive for one offs.
                  - machine the parts and hope all goes as planned (this is more a test of the fixturing)
                  -clean/deburr/polish etc
                  -try the part in the intended application and possibly start from the beggining again - this is extremely important for anything that is intended for resale.
                  - anodize if required

Whew!

All that being said - it is best to remember the KISS priciple (Keep it simple st*upid!) for comsumer products.

If anyone has any interesting projects,however, (I do love a challenge) pls p.m. me - I wouldn't mind doing something hobby wise when the machine wasn't busy.

If you are interested in trying something like this yourself for small parts have a look at the Sherline mini-mills. Here's a pic of mine that I retrofited for full 3 axis CNC. The motor brackets were actually made by my real CNC.
                  Attached Files
                  Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Gtforty: I am a decent home machinist, not fast enough to be a professional, though. The milling machine I have access to is only a little 8" x 42".

I used to program and run Mitutoyo 3 axis and LK 4 axis CMMs.
                    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Running CMM's - please don't remind me of the most boring job I've ever had
                      8 x 42 sounds like a bridgeport style machine - excellent little workhorse for general mahining and in the right hands can be very accurate. I wouldn't worry about speed though - it's all about technique and attention to detail.
                      Have you done anything interesting with it?

Comment

Originally posted by RedRed
                        I thaught that he was getting them from old Al Samoud ]['s......

RedRed
                        probably paid by cheik

Comment

Originally posted by gtforty
                          Running CMM's - please don't remind me of the most boring job I've ever had
                          Hey, mine too. I did QA for an automotive die cast and machining plant. I was also the unofficial assistant LAN admin, which was enough experience to get me into a real IT position. It's all been roses since then
                          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

CMMs...oh the joys of qualifying 36 Probe Head positions BEFORE running the inspection program...And then of course, having the buggy LK software "lose" the axis system...

Comment

Making 4 - (16) valve heads for old Aussie V-8's
                              Paul ... Peterborough ..Uk

....Ex- Perth ...WA .....

The ( EX) Forrestfield Flyer

Comment

Working...
                              X