Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gurm
    Mandrake is a big piece of dog turd.

I hate it almost as much as I hate Red Hat.

The fact that people say that Red Hat 8 is great matters not when 7.3 was such a horrible piece of crap.

Why can't just ONE Linux distro run as well as Solaris?

I have spoken.

- Gurm

Edit: Replaced the words "rancid dog shit" with the word "crap".
    Mmm, Solaris - a real Unix

Shame about CDE being crap, and GNOME2 being 'dodgy' on it.

What about BSD? I know there are a couple of users here.

Hmm, scrap "users" - a couple of "administrators" here
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

The new box is getting Gentoo.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
        Then I logged onto Mandrake's technical support board, and an OFFICIAL MANDRAKE REPRESENTATIVE said (to someone having my exact problem):

"I can't be bothered to tell you this. If you can't figure it out you're stupid and lame. Go away, and come back when you learn how to use our OS."
        You're kidding me, right? What a friggin TOOL.

Comment

Yeah, Mandrake's support forums tend to suck. Redhat 8 was so nice. Oracle works on it without major script changes.
          "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Solaris is okay. But they have a huge advantage when they control pretty much all of the hardware that the OS will ever run on (x86 solaris is no good).
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
              Solaris is okay. But they have a huge advantage when they control pretty much all of the hardware that the OS will ever run on (x86 solaris is no good).
              Is it known for being slow though? I have heard the term "Slowlaris" a few times around work...

Although, everyone knows Sun are the market leaders in every area of IT

I had a marketing talk (supposedly a technical overview...) on SunONE (Open Net Environment), and was amused at how they somehow managed to say they were market leaders in everything. So, for directory services they are market leaders...which means they sell the most. For webservers they are the market leaders, because they are the fastest...

The meaning of 'leader' changed with every slide
              Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Solaris on SPARC is known for being slow too. In fact I think that's the one everyone calls Slowaris.

I remember hearing Dave Miller talk about his experiences porting Linux to the SPARC. He told how he got the console working and found that it was faster than the Solaris console (before he'd done any optimising work etc.), got excited about this, and contacted Eric Youngdale (another prominent Linux guy). "Hey Eric, I got the Linux console working on SPARC, and it's faster than Sun's!". To which Eric replied along the lines of "Yeah.... so what?"
                Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

There's a reason Solaris appears so slow. It' s a very fine-grained operating system, and the processor does a lot of locking and unlocking of code as it runs through the console. This generally means that Solaris is slow as hell on small boxes. However, when you start throwing processors at the machine, these fine locks allow a processor to lock down only the code that it needs, allowing the other processors to run the other code that they need as well.

Comment

Wombat wins a prize.

I have spoken.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurms right the latest Mandrake sucks. I think they need to go back to version 8 at have another look at how things are done.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                      X