Babylon project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babylon project

Ok the babylon is basically a communicator which translates anything you say in for instance English into what ever lauguage you want ie German or French and vice versa German into English.

The project is being led by it's maker a guy from somewhere in the Uk. The project has mainly been Top! secret for the last 2 years until all the patents etc were settled so companies like Sony couldn't get their hands on it.

Basically what it does is, records what you want to say and it translates it into the required lauguage and therefore negating the need to learn the lauguange and they are currently working on an earpeace which means size wont be a problem. It also remembers the frequency and wavelengths of your voice, so the translation is said exactly how you would say it
    Last edited by 3dfx; 1 April 2003, 10:06.

And it'll be roughly as good as... say... dragon naturally speaking.

So if you speak SLOWLY, and CLEARLY, it'll only mess up one or two words per thought.

So "where is the nearest hotel?" will translate "where is the nearest brothel?". This is bad, but better than "wearing the neatest bath towel", which is an insult in Romania.

I'm skeptical of this, in case you hadn't guessed.

I have spoken.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

This is definitly the wrong day for unveiling new technology
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I'd rather they had made a real babelfish
        "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Well dictionary pens are out. But the need for learning languages gone.

While you can pretty much get arround in the world with English, well imagine speaking only Slovenian (2M+ speakers).

And imagine sex0ring between two partners who speak different languages using that device to communicate.

Comment

Well that sounds cool if it worked, however that is a RELLY big if in my opinion...

~Sethos
            "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Well that sex0ring between two partners who speak different languages sounds cool if it worked, however THAT is really big in my opinion...
              P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
              Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
              And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Guys let me put this to rest by saying that this has been Top secret for a reason ..hehe it works and it is going to revolutionize the way in which we as a world communicate.

Ok a lot of teachers are worried that it will effect children's education, ie learning about other cultures. Though I totally disagree as that is the problem in the Uk. Most ppl in the Uk only speak English or variations of it ..hehe and that's why they cant experience cultures like Italian and spanish etc fully as they dont understand the language.

I have seen this working and imo it is going to change things for the better, ok some ppl are going to be out of a job but I also feel that it will bring the world that little bit closer. Now this cool device if mass produced will retail for around £300 at first, but of course as with most tech will begin top drop as the demand drops.

Comment

I mean, most of people in english speaking countries already don't speak other languages.

Comment

3dfx,

Not to doubt you, but L&H and Dragon are the recognized world leaders in language/speech recognition... and THEIR software is almost unusable for anything beyond slow dictation.

I don't doubt that this technology is possible and/or works. I just doubt that it can understand a damn word someone from Maine says.

Or someone from Texas.

Or someone from Martha's Vineyard.

Or someone with a parent from India.

Or... me, if I talk too fast, even though my diction is near-perfect.

I HAVE SPOKEN.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

A well yes I would have to agree there Gurm, though I'am sure that the whole idea is that you learn to speak your own language first and properly Anyway I can see your point and I suppose we'll just have to wait and see the outcome.

Comment

Working...
                      X