SmoothWall Installation and Setup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A most excellent tutorial!

I have smoothwall myself (on a PII 233, Abit LX6), 64 Mb Ram and a 4 gig HD.

I set it up in the attic (I installed some RJ45 in the house when it was getting rewired)....

I removed ALL the fans (including the PSU) from the box, you cant hear it at all - its been 2 months since its last reboot.... - the heatsink is warm to the touch - but seems OK (In the roofspace, ambient temperature probably reaches 20C....) The case is removed, the is a mains powered smoke alram fitted to the Joist above it - wifes rule.

I got myself a domain, through NO-ip.com, and am testing it out at the moment - it all seems cool. Its really easy to set up through smoothwall....

I have one problem - one of the patches doesnt seem to install, but apart from that everything is cool.

I do have another small problem... the box I want to set up as the WWW/FTP server (and possibly games server - it wont see much action in its primary roles) has to live on my GREEN line for the moment - I dont have more RJ54 in that room !!! - not smoothwalls fault

It is a good idea to label the connections - I normally work from the idea that the bottom is BAD (red), middle is DODGY (amber) and top is GOOD (green), but you could also use traffic light colours.....

Good luck with your smoothwall experiences!
    Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

OSDN pays people to write reviews/articles like that I think!
      Now submit it
      (newsforge)
      P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
      Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Thanks for the kind words...

There is a problem they are working on regarding free memory and Snort: when you try to install the updates, disable the Web Proxy, VPN, Snort and anything else you can get away with. This should free up enough memory to install all updates.

I'm currently running GPL1.0 on one HDD, but my latest infatuation is GPL2.0Beta4 on another.

New things in GPL 2.0B4: 2.4 Kernel, EXT3 File system (An absolute Must - Think of it as NTFS for Linux) Support for static IPs on the Green LAN. A much cleaner Web interface.

GPL2.0B4 hated my Linksys Cards (wouldn't load a module that would work with them), so I switched to Intel cards and have had no further issues.

Yea, they might pay for those kinds of articles, but that would take all the fun out of writing them.

Better to share with my mates here (and a couple of other places) and get people involved at the grass roots level.
        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I also set one of these up a week or two ago when MM originally posted this article. I used an aged P75 with 48mb ram and a 1gb fujitsu HD.

The install went basically smoothly, all except for arguably the most important segment of the setup. I was using two 3com 3c905x PCI cards and nothing I tried would make it behave with both of them. The green NIC worked fine but I absolutely could not get the red NIC to pull an IP address from my cable modem. Eventually I put a cheapo realtek in to replace one of the 3com's and suddenly everything worked fine. So, it's not just Linksys NIC's that cause it to have a shit fit, it doesn't like 3com either. I used the v1.0 release.

Unfortunately I don't really have any place to put the thing at the moment. I tried putting it in my closet but between the PSU fan and the HD it was just too noisy to leave it running 24/7. So for the time being I've gone back to my Linksys router till I figure out a solution.

Ian

PS. Great write up MM. I'd never thought to look into something like this before and would never have found this if not for your tutorial.
          Primary System:
          MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
          120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
          Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
          Seccondary System:
          Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
          3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
          Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
          Tertiary system
          Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
          Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Smoothwall Express Version 2.0 GPL Final will be posted later today for those interested, a tutorial for GPL 2.0 is nearing completion.
            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Great

I've been waiting for it
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

The site is getting Clobbered, slow as hell
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                X