NV35 Features.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NV35 Features.

Usually I wouldn't care about things like this, but here goes.

Stumbled over this thread over at Beyond3D.

Looks like it will be a powerfull chip, BUT...

...it seems they haven't done anything about the FSAA. Considering the gamma corrected AA of the Radeon which looks incredible and FAA(technology wise), I can't see why anyone should bother with this board.

Now that the boards are powerfull enough to use AA at decent resolutions I for one "can't live" without it. I didn't use to bother about AA but now it's a must have for me since I got the 9700Pro.

It UT2k3 the FAA on Parhelia is better AA.

I often times thought the Parhelia's FAA was much better than FSAA.

I think nVidia should be looking at FAA instead. Then I will be impressed because I'd have a chip that could do 1600x1200 FAA with a 4 tap anisotropic filter at decent speeds.

Till then man, nVidia's just going in the direction of wasting processing power and extra heat.

Truly genious chip design is making the chip do less cycles.

I won't be going for anything nVidia anytime soon. Whatever they come out with next will just get annihilated by the R400 anyway.

I won't be going for Pitou either, mainly because it'll be out by the time ATI or nVidia have something compelling for my games.
    I am the 1 and the 0, the bit and the byte.
    No computer is unbendable to my will, as hacking is not so much skill as psychology. Much like the lawmaker and the money that drives him to do as anyone would wish with it.

Comment

Of course FAA is better in an engineering perspective A real plus for Matrox!

After all, FSAA is a very dumb way to do AA... i.e. bluring out the whole screen to blur only the edges...

Problem is its just too buggy...

Comment

FSAA is ridiculous.

Back when the fillrate vs TL arguement was lively no one was able to argue for FSAA when someone mentioned "what happens when you have a texture that is anisotropic filtered but at a distance and the FSAA blurs out the details of it???"

*crickets noises*

FAA doesn't do that....

The bugs though have to be worked out on a per app basis, which sucks too.

Although, try the GeForce3 version of Giants on a Parhelia w/FAA and run it at 1600x1200.....man you're in for a treat to behold!
        I am the 1 and the 0, the bit and the byte.
        No computer is unbendable to my will, as hacking is not so much skill as psychology. Much like the lawmaker and the money that drives him to do as anyone would wish with it.

Comment

Check your facts:
          Multisampling FSAA does not blur textures. In fact, it doesnt' do anything to textures at all.

Only supersampling does and this 1.) can be helped by using high anisotropic settings and 2.) is even advantageous/desirable for old games with low-res textures or lots of alpha-textures.

Of course FAA is another step to an intelligent antialiasing beyond multisampling, but has just too many issues the way its' currently implemented.
          Last edited by Indiana; 28 April 2003, 15:06.
          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
          My System
          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
          German ATI-forum

Comment

Haven't seen a Parhelia in action, so I can't compare.

Comment

Play free online games and win real prizes at Gembly! All your favorite solitaire games, card games, dice games against real players. Play and win!

Launch for the NV35 appears to have been confirmed at Los Angeles E3 (12-15 May).

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
              X