AMD says that using thermal grease or other heatsinks void warranty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cking4@ford.com
    Mabye the got scared when that one guy suggested toothpaste worked just as well as Arctic Silver...

BTW: has anyone tried out that new "Ceramique" formula? I just saw this over at 2cooltek the other night.
    They seem to be as good as AS3, while not being electricity-capacitable.
    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Originally posted by [GDI]Raptor
      Just read on a Norwegian hardware news site that AMD have said that this is wrong

Here is the link for everyone that can read norwegian
      Norges grundigste tester, guider og nyheter relatert til forbrukerteknologi finner du på Tek.no. Med langt over en million brukere i uken er ingen større enn oss.

Basicly they are saying that AMD doesn't care about what termal greese you use...
      They do trust me!
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Who wouldn't trust you?

From their book:

"The Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith."

No talk about the kind of goo you should/shouldn't use.

Comment

Then buy a retail AMD cpu and do not use the stock HS/pad... safe guard it someplace for when you toast the bugger. All that is neccessary is to clean it and return w/ stock...

Problem solved
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
            Then buy a retail AMD cpu and do not use the stock HS/pad... safe guard it someplace for when you toast the bugger. All that is neccessary is to clean it and return w/ stock...

Problem solved
            That is what we got permission to do when I talked to them!
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Of course, it doesn't hurt to put the retail HS on after that. Most dead chips will still get warm enough to melt the PCM.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

You should definitely put the retail HS on it so the PCM gets an imprint of the CPU. If you don't, they'll consider you've voided your warranty by not using the stock HS, which is clearly specified in the warranty manual.

Comment

Real Men don't use Pads
                  "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

the wax and metal sandwich TIM is about the most POS thing you could ever use!!
                    I those I have seen, the wax has run down to one corner of the hs or worse out on the socket
                    The metal piece usualy looks as if held over a lighter flame
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                    X