CAS Latency and timings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAS Latency and timings.

How would one find out the CAS latency of their memory. Could one infer it from their default timings?

For example, I have a 256MB double-sided PC 133 SDRam Dimm in a PC100 Motherboard.

It's mostly marked on the memory module with a sticker (3-digit format e.g. 3-2-2).
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

News und Foren zu Computer, IT, Wissenschaft, Medien und Politik. Preisvergleich von Hardware und Software sowie Downloads bei Heise Medien.

this program reads the SPD-settings from installed modules.

mfg
      wulfman
      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
      "Lobsters?"
      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Usually, but mine did not have this whcih is why I was asking about the timings. If it helps, it is a stick from the defunct Upgradeplanet and was supposedly High Grade so I am guessing CAS2 or CAS2.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfman
          http://heise.de/ct/ftp/ctspd.shtml

this program reads the SPD-settings from installed modules.

mfg
          wulfman
          Excellent! Thank you! I can muddle my way through the German.

Comment

Chipset not found on the machine I am at now.

Comment

I didn't think SDR SDRAM could be half values.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I think you're right Wombat it's either 2 or 3.
                Anyway if the ram is pc133 rated it should be able to run at cas2 at pc100 settings more than likely.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Oh man, last time I went for a stick of Cas 2 133 Mhz SDR, that guy told me over and over again they only had Cas 2.5.

I am a computer illiterate, but this.....even I knew.
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
                    Oh man, last time I went for a stick of Cas 2 133 Mhz SDR, that guy told me over and over again they only had Cas 2.5.

I am a computer illiterate, but this.....even I knew.
                    I didn't. Hehe. I had a nimrod at a computer show insist that there were no SlotA thunderbirds. I immediately walked away. Some young punk that was probably working for his daddy.

Interesting, I still want to match up the ram though. If a PC133 CAS3 stick of ram is set in a PC100 motherboard, will it still default to CAS3 even though it can do CAS2 at the lower speed since it defaults to the SPD settings?

Comment

Can you post a pic big enough that the numbers are readable? Or, on second thought, can you post the numbers?

How the automatic speed detection decides is different from board to board, and depends on your stick's SPD EEPROM a lot. Almost all SPD EEPROMs don't contain the proper values. If the BIOS has to guess, it uses the slowest value available.

AZ
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

It's likely may not <I>have</I> SPD settings, especially SDR RAM. I think that's registered vs. unregistered.

Yeah, it will probably default to CAS3, just because that's the safe value, but if it doesn't run CAS2 I'd be surprised.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                          Can you post a pic big enough that the numbers are readable? Or, on second thought, can you post the numbers?

How the automatic speed detection decides is different from board to board, and depends on your stick's SPD EEPROM a lot. Almost all SPD EEPROMs don't contain the proper values. If the BIOS has to guess, it uses the slowest value available.

AZ
                          Gonna have to take it to work and scan the module on both sides. I don't have a flatbed scanner here at home. It does seem to be CAS3 or defaults to it at least:

Page Idle Timer 8
                          Precharge time 3
                          Ras Activate Timer 5
                          CAS Latency 3
                          RAS to CAS Delay 3

Comment

Originally posted by az

AZ
                            yep...that's because not all manufacturers have mastered BIOS programming...it's usually best to start with a known working stick then manually change the values and insert the new stick...

Comment

Wombat, IIRC registered and unregistered has nothing to do with the SPD, which, again IIRC, is part of the JEDEC standard. Registered DIMMs have some kind of buffers on them, to make bigger moules less problematic, though a tad slower, IIRCĀ³.

Jumbllama, those seem to be the default timings.

AZ
                              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                              X