Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP3 player / portable storage...?

Hello,

I think I am looking for an MP3 player for incar use / portable remote storage thing. Let me explain. Firstly: recently, I purchased a simple car-navigation system (1 DIN radio-system). While this can still be used as a CD-player, it cannot perform CD-audio and navigation at the same time (as it only has 1 CD-slot; for this to go together it need e.g. an external CD-changer). However, I'd hate to have to sacrifice trunk/boot-space (the car isn't that big) to fit a CD-changer. Blaupunkt has an MP3-cardreader-thingy, but it could well be that it comes with the MicroDrive (have mailed them, am waiting for answer) which makes it relatively expensive. Interesting facht however, is that my current nav/radio still has 2x line in.
    Secondly: I'm an amateur photographer, and was thinking about some portable storage thingy (should read CF-card, and put it on a harddisk or so).
    Thirdly: It would sometimes be interesting to have some "large-volume" portable storage (home, student dorm, office, ...).

So given these 3 uses, I was thinking if there are devices that combine my purposes ? My second point is actually less important (considering the number of CF-cards I currently have, it is not that much of an issue, but it would be easier; currently I have reserve for approx. 500 pictures in compressed RAW, but CF-cards are seriously dropping in price). These are the specs I'm looking for:
    - MP3 player
    - car dc-powered
    - USB 2.0
    - portable
    - storage on harddisk or CF (or combination)
    - remote control (?)

Any recommendations ? Makes to steer clear of ?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I think this baby would suit you:

Shop online at creative.com for Sound Blaster sound cards, Gaming headsets, Wireless speakers, Bluetooth headphones.

It goes up to 60GB...The only issue would be the DC power, it says "DC in 5V" in the specs. I'm not familiar with in-car voltages...
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

I find no info about a DC-car-adapter... You know, the cigarette-lighter thing (isn't it 12V ?). It looks quite similar to the iPod (Apple)... I've also seen devices on www.archos.com ...

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Well, it's cheaper than an iPod, that's for sure. But now that I think about it, any HDD-based MP3 player is kinda bound to skip while driving...
        All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Would that be such an issue ? Blaupunkt uses the microdrive in their standard MP3 solution... Well, if it is, then the HDD alternative is off, only the CF-alternative remains then...

edit: can anyone confirm the skipping issue with something like this in a car ?

Jörg
          Last edited by VJ; 20 May 2003, 06:01.
          pixar

Comment

What do you have against the Microdrive? I have one, and it's great. And not expensive at all, 200 EUR for one gig.

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I have nothing against the microdrive, but I have plenty of CF-card based storage as it is... Besides, my point is that it is sold *with* the blaupunkt player, and they do charge more than 200 EUR... Also, the question is/was: does a harddisk skip ? If so, the microdrive will most likely also suffer from it...

Anyone have experience with the Nex ia or the Nex IIe ?

(there is a review on slashdot: http://slashdot.org/features/02/01/20/0543250.shtml )

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

I have a Nex IIe - tried to sell it in the happy shopper a few weeks ago, you might want to have a look there

AZ

Comment

Oh, the MD doesn't really skip, a notebook harddrive shouldn't skip too often, and every good player should have ample buffer memory anyways, for power management (so that the HD can spin down between buffer refills).

AZ

Comment

Originally posted by az
                    I have a Nex IIe - tried to sell it in the happy shopper a few weeks ago, you might want to have a look there

AZ
                    Why are you selling it ?
                    edit: ok, I just read the thread over in the happy shopper (euhm, there currently is an offer over on Frontierlabs, NexIIe is now $109 + $15 shipping)

I'm still doubting, the iPod looks nice too (different use though), and the archos device would allow me to use it for photo-storage as well (on the road, that is).

Oh, I just noticed the Microdrive in the store here, and they charge €359 for it ! If I remember correctly, Blaupunkt has a similar pricing for this product, making this a very expensive (and limited - only incar use with certain Blaupunkt radios) product.

Jörg
                    Last edited by VJ; 21 May 2003, 00:41.
                    pixar

Comment

Right, euhm, on to the next item... Does anyone have experience with this Deltron device:

It does not seem that expensive (€360) for this device: USB2.0, 20 GB harddisk, CF-cardreader, photo use (backup of CF card + display on TV), MP3 playback, MPEG1/2 video playback, car DC-adapter)

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

That's expensive!

I'm hapy with my Nex IIe now, got used to its quirks - the Nex IA should improve on that (I was planning to buy one if someone bought my IIe). The iPod sounds great as an mp3 player, yes. For picture archiving, I'd recommend an xs-drive II.

Here's a review.

If you have any questions or picture requests for the Nex IIe, go ahead

AZ

Comment

Yes, I know about the X-drive. But it just seems silly to have so many devices that are not full time used. And considering that, the combination of photostorage/mp3 seems nice: if I need the photostorage, I don't mind erasing the MP3 files (can always put them back); and while I don't need photostorage, the device isn't just sitting there...

Oh, regarding the Nex... There currently is an offer over on Frontierlabs: $109 + $15 shipping...

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

The Nex is worth that price, so if it really fits your needs, I'd get it and live with its shortcomings, or get the Nex IA that fixes some of them.

There is also the option of an archos jukebox multimedia 20 or 120 + CF card reader add on. The jukebox itself with 20 GB harddrive costs 499 or 549 EUR respectively, and the add-on costs 39 EUR. This is DAMN expensive, and the jukeboxes aren't as small as an iPod (especially with card reader add-on), but they have some interesting features: mp3, jpg, bmp, and video playback on their own small color LCD screen or TV, optional add-ons for video-in, etc.

AZ

Comment

Yes, I can imagine the Nex being honestly priced. I'm just not sure it fits my needs...

Initially I thought it would, but seeing the other nice gadgets made me beginn to doubt... The iPod looks very nice, the digital data player has its benefits, ... Guess it will come down to how much I'm willing to spend... (and in that view, the Nex will be the cheapest option, but with the lesser possibilities)

Jörg
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X