WTF?? Microsoft at it again....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leech
    What about support for Transparent PNG's? Something that Mozilla and other browsers have had support for FOREVER and yet IE still does not have it.

Leech
    Nice but not much good if the page doesn't load or pauses for several minutes.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Broken PNG support is THE one most annoying bug in IE. Alpha support is broken, palette transparency is broken, gamma correction is broken... I would have loved to use PNG on my site, but their color is just slightly off in IE, so their background color is different from the site's HTML background color (which was the same in Photo-Paint, and is the same in Moz and Opera). And alpha is no option, too (and it would be SUCH a great design feature) - this is especially stupid because I think IE supports alpha for flash (not within flash, I know this is done by the plugin itself).

I guess it's not done because IE gets horribly slow with such things, as it gets so very sluggish with a fixed background image.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Yeah. There ARE outstanding bugs in IE. But as stated above, I hardly care whether it renders PNG's when it renders everything else at lightspeed.

Now, like I said if Opera gets over their growing pains...

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

The worst thing about this is that it seems Microshaft won't be doing much improvements. Sucky as we all know that IE needs a lot of work still.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

After absorbing the proposed settlement details with aol my reading of this is the following,
            microsoft has crushed the dominant netscape with the introduction of internet explorer,
            now microsoft will slowly drop the internet explorer name and make the browsing function part of the next generation of windows operating systems, by doing this the linux community won't have any software to view correctly lot of web pages making windows longhaul the only viable option.

Microsoft used to use innovation to better other products now it only needs to use its financial muscle, this does not bode well for the longterm production of good, bug free small footprint software.

Breezer
            Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
              Yeah. My biggest gripe (although I know why it happened) with Netscape 4 was that... Netscape 3 Gold ran INSTANTLY. On ancient hardware. Netscape 4 ran dog slow. Netscape 7 STILL RUNS DOG SLOW. On 2ghz machines!
              You should definItely have a look at the Firebird browser, then.
              If you find this slow (except maybe for startup-time) then you seriously have a too slow computer.
              But we named the *dog* Indiana...
              My System
              2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
              German ATI-forum

Comment

STARTUP TIME IS MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT! ARGH!

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

I just read that IE6 SP1 will be MS's last standalone browser. The next Browser versions will ONLY be bundled with newer OSes. IE6SP1 is the last browser for "legacy" OSes (including XP) - the new features MS wants to build into IE (mainly DRM) require a "secure" OS underneath, so they'll only be available for "secure" OSes.

AZ

Comment

Yeah, don't bet on it.

This is like the 5th time in 10 years that MS has gone on about not making any more standalone browsers, and secure this and protected that.

They always back down, because nobody wants to buy that. They're market driven.

Remember when Billy-Boy said that within 2 years they'd sell nothing but Network-PC operating systems? No hard disk support, just CD's and NICs? Yeah, that was 1995. Oops.

- Gurm

Comment

That was because everyone jumped the "Thin Client" bandwagon then ("dumb terminal" apparently didn't sound good enough ).

But it shows they have absolutely no intention to unbundle browsers from operating systems. I don't want an OS that tells me which files are OK to be opened - and that needs an internet connection so I can play my music. But that's another story - only IE will take a big part in it. Hopefully it'll be a flop.

AZ

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                        STARTUP TIME IS MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT! ARGH!

- Gurm
                        Well, Mozilla is not a slow starter anymore

Timed it on my Work machine (Duron 800, 512mb sdram, ibm60gxp 80gb Matrox mill 2)
                        and after a reboot Moz started within 3 sec!!!
                        IE was also within3 sec!!

and the "cuick launch" feature was not on!!!

and: this machine was last defragged 3 months ago
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

DRM will never fly. It's just too restrictive.

The mass market has indicated, time and time again (although the companies are all too blind to see it) that they are just NOT interested in restrictive protected content. *shrug*

- Gurm

Comment

I hope it is so. I also think it's too restrictive, but I fear that it'll be pushed into the market by all companies together.

AZ

Comment

Nah. It's kinda like DIVX (the original DIVX, not divx). No matter how many big companies want it (Disney+Circuit City+Consortium) if it's a terrible restrictive technology it will fail.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                              X