No announcement yet.

What's better in your opinion ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a WD JB edition, I'd get a quiet drive instead if I was getting one today. The new Samsung drives look promising since the newest Barracudas are noisier than the IV and V series.
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

the 180GXP is quieter than a 'cuda IV and as fast as a WD JB. Can be had with 8 MB cache too.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

The 180GXP also makes a clicking noise regularly, something about making sure the drive is working correctly IIRC.

Comment

yeah, but that's actually quite bearable, sounds a bit like the sound a thermos flask makes when the cap is closed tight and the tea cools down (it "sighs"). The noise also gets quieter if you set your drives to quiet mode.

AZ

Comment

Originally posted by az
            the 180GXP is quieter than a 'cuda IV and as fast as a WD JB. Can be had with 8 MB cache too.

AZ
            not according to this review:

Comment

According to storagereview and c't it is. Well, it's arguably very quiet and very fast (a lot faster than the Barracudas).

AZ

Comment

Well, 80GB drives cost slightly more than 40, with 120, the price per GB = same as 80 (slightly lower), above 120GB it starts to rise again.

40 = not worth it. I'm getting 120JB as soon as pay comes.

Comment

Working...
                X