Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer rebooting due to low/fluxuating 12v rail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer rebooting due to low/fluxuating 12v rail?

Greetings,

I am looking at a friends computer for him because it reboots randomly. It even reboots right after POST sometimes so that basically rules out the OS. I started watching the voltage lines and instantly noticed that the 12v rail is fluxuating heavily between 10.62v-11.34v. As I was watching this, I was sure it would reboot, but it never did even though it rebooted constantly before I noticed this problem. Finally I rebooted manually and watched the voltage lines again. This time the voltage was fluxuating between 9.62v-10.08v! It fluxuated for about 30 seconds and then it dropped once to 9.57v and BOOM! reboot happened.
    Before I chalk this up as a bad mobo, I just wanted some opinions from others.

Thanks,

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

I would ditch that sucker.
    Lawrence

Comment

Bad something, but I'd say bad PSU first. The MB doesn't do much to the 12V except use it. The HDs and other components use that line much more. Still, I kind of wonder about the PSU.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Good point! I'll check with a multimeter and see whats up. Thanks!

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I recently posted similar problems that friend's rig has.

Get him an Antec, PC Power & Cooling or something. Decent PSU is somewhat costsly, but it's worth it.

The voltages on 12V rail are also similar (10-11).

For instance flaky PSU can cause your box not to pass memtest86.

What are the specs and what's the PSU?
          Last edited by UtwigMU; 5 June 2003, 21:40.

Comment

OK, I talked to my buddy and he says that he already changed out the PSU. The only about that though is the fact that it is a 250W generic PSU. I am leaning towards the mobo again at this point. Just for grins, I left it on the hardware monitor screen for about an hour. Usually it would have rebooted, but I went in and checked it and it was still on the hardware monitor screen with a solid 12.24v! It has now been 2 hours with no reboot and a solid 12.24v.

Specs:

Gigabyte something. It's the older original SocketA Athlon mobo with SDR PC133 memory.
            Athlon 700
            PC133 128MB
            GF200MX
            some nic card
            built in audi0 - audio 97?

Dave

Comment

Are the caps all in OK condition???
              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                OK, I talked to my buddy and he says that he already changed out the PSU. The only about that though is the fact that it is a 250W generic PSU. I am leaning towards the mobo again at this point. Just for grins, I left it on the hardware monitor screen for about an hour. Usually it would have rebooted, but I went in and checked it and it was still on the hardware monitor screen with a solid 12.24v! It has now been 2 hours with no reboot and a solid 12.24v.

Specs:

Gigabyte something. It's the older original SocketA Athlon mobo with SDR PC133 memory.
                Athlon 700
                PC133 128MB
                GF200MX
                some nic card
                built in audi0 - audio 97?

Dave
                No wonder its shaky with a generic 250W PSU
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yup.. 250w Generic power supply + older Athlon = unstable system

Comment

Originally posted by rylan
                    Yup.. 250w Generic power supply + older Athlon = unstable system
                    well, anything higher than a P3 will be unstable on a generic 250w PSU

I have seen some High quality 250w psu's that did manage it before the user added a burner and a hdd, capture card, et etc
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Replace that PS. The Vcore rail required for the cpu is derived from the 12v PS rail. You must have a good PS to handle the loads the original Athlons placed on them. A 300w Powerman or similar will resolve all these issues and is AMD approved for that cpu.

Might I suggest any of Allied's PS's, 300w or greater

P.S. also reccomended by AMD
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I too love Allied, my only complaint is that since their acquisition by FoxConn, it is IM-friggin-POSSIBLE to get them RMA'ed if they do die.

- Gurm
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Thanks for all of the help everyone. I'll start with the PS then and see if things improve.

Greebe, am I really looking at the right PS for ~$20.00 dollars???

Thanks for the link!

Dave

Comment

Yep. Allied are cheap, which is one of the reasons I like them.

- Gurm
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

eYup you're looking at the prices
                              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X