Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft has the Antivirus makers in their sights!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft has the Antivirus makers in their sights!

Aparently MS has bought technology from a rumainian Antivirus maker (GeCAD Software) and is planing to implement it in their new OS, officially to make the OS more suited for 3rdparty Antivir soft

Symantecs shares took a dive becuase of it

Well well
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Yep. The plan is to allow AV software, like defrag software, to integrate in the MS Management console.

One reason Symantec's shares took a dive is that Norton Antivirus is a festering piece of SHIT... and any move that MS makes that might make it easier for other companies to integrate into Windows would erode any sort of lead Symantec has.

Which is good - Symantec has been systematically ruining their entire product line for a couple years now.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

This is no different than the inclusion of the basic firewall in Windows XP.

I can't see how this is a bad thing. Anything that will make Windows a bit more secure can only help solve some of the problems people face anymore. Oh but wait... it's Microsoft doing it so it must be a bad thing...
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
        Yep. The plan is to allow AV software, like defrag software, to integrate in the MS Management console.
        Sounds interesting

One reason Symantec's shares took a dive is that Norton Antivirus is a festering piece of SHIT... and any move that MS makes that might make it easier for other companies to integrate into Windows would erode any sort of lead Symantec has.
        Nav2003 is not "integrated" in anyway

the fecking shit sits in the tray (if it actualy starts) or runs in its own window wich not resembles any grafical style of any Win ver

Which is good - Symantec has been systematically ruining their entire product line for a couple years now.

- Gurm
        Yup

Nav2001 was broken in many places, NAV2003 is also, NAV2002 works pretty good
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
          This is no different than the inclusion of the basic firewall in Windows XP.
          In that case we should be afraid

I can't see how this is a bad thing. Anything that will make Windows a bit more secure can only help solve some of the problems people face anymore. Oh but wait... it's Microsoft doing it so it must be a bad thing...
          No its not necessary a Bad thing if they do make it easier for the AV programs to protect our computers from viri

But I just reminded of IE

Comment

Yeah, here I figured that NAV2002 was a step forward, so I updated to NAV2003... and promptly removed ALL Symantec software from my machine (except for Ghost, which so far remains largely unspoilt).

At any rate, Symantec is entrenched... BUT:

My point was that if OTHER companies integrate... the point of which is to make them more lightweight and LESS VISIBLE... then Symantec is screwed. Their software is bulky, tied in a 3-way for catching the most virii, and losing ground fast.

- GUrm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Works fine here had to remove all traces of 2002 first though otherwise you had a nice unstable machine. It also got better after the first series of patches.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm

- Gurm
                Yes, but you are assuming the M$'s virus software won't be a festering piece of shit, either. M$ has been know to really screw things up before.

Symantec has gone to pot ever since Norton stopped managing the coding.

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

No no.

I'm assuming MS's AV will suck, but that like their defrag good vendors will be able to integrate on top of it.

- Gurm

Comment

I think it will definitely be a piece of cr*p, the first 3 version at least, but eventually become acceptable. The they'll change it again.

What I hope (but I'm dreaming) is that they'll one day give the possibility to not install it but to allow for AV hooks (driver-like)into the kernel for better programs to be used. Same with firewalls and adware/spyware-removal utilities (you get a file system driver/scanner you can use on all files/data...).

But that won't happen and they'll probably make IE an integral part of the kernel one day....or rather: IE will BE the kernel...

Comment

Working...
                    X