IS XP just a facelift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by az
    I would try winXP before going to that job interview.. the "fisher price" interface can seem quite confusing at first sight imho.

AZ
    Ah impress them by turning all the crap off and making it run nice and fast.
    Switch back to classic view on the desktop and start menu and then disable all the fancy effects.

XP improved a lot after service pack one.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
      Ah impress them by turning all the crap off and making it run nice and fast.
      Switch back to classic view on the desktop and start menu and then disable all the fancy effects.

XP improved a lot after service pack one.

sp1 is slow. some applications run even slower under sp1. classic ms screwup

Comment

Originally posted by M|x
        sp1 is slow. some applications run even slower under sp1. classic ms screwup
        Not in my case it isn't. You must have something wrong in your config.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

well, i read an article

Comment

Hmm.. SP1.. too lazy

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Ahem.

XP has vastly improved A/V subsystems, to the point where DOS compatibility using XP and VDMSound (a Sound Blaster / MSCDEX emulator) is almost 100%.

There are a LOT of differences.

More than you can gloss over in a description.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm.

The question is if my current set up is absolutely fine stability wise and I have no performance issues with games or apps, (3D Studio Max, Dreaweaver etc) is there any point in going for the upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
                  It looks like FIsher Price but that can be changed and it does appear to be faster and smoother for startup and shutdown. Memory footprints are similar. XP on one of my work machines actually had a smaller footprint. If only it was not for the product activation and ridiculous license agreements, XP would be really nice.
                  Just changing to the classic interface isn't enough since this change trips up some programs. Of course there are also the EULA and activation issues....

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                    Of course there are also the EULA and activation issues....

Dr. Mordrid
                    Yes, the activation is another sad story. The last time I reinstalled my sys Windows said that the (Internet-) activation is not possible because I used my key several times before . Great !
                    Now I was forced to use the damn telephone activation .
                    Asus H97 Pro Gamer| Intel i5 4690K| Noctua NH-U9B SE2 | Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 3GB | Soundblaster ZxR | 8 GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600| LG 24 MP88HV-S

Comment

Windows activation is a really PITA, MS managed to screw up all the legit copy owners and not even bother all the pirates. Of course the pirated version floating around is a corporate edition, wich doesn´t have WPA.
                      Anyway, even if you have a legit copy, there´s several ways to trick WPA. Just search on the right "places"

Perceived speed on XP is mostly video card dependent, namely if and how fast ir implements constant alpha blending and per pixel alpha blending. Just try to run XP on a PIV 3Ghz with a KyroII and see what I mean. Just use the classic windows interface if you like it.

Comment

Originally posted by dbdg
                        Gurm.

The question is if my current set up is absolutely fine stability wise and I have no performance issues with games or apps, (3D Studio Max, Dreaweaver etc) is there any point in going for the upgrade.
                        This is one of those neat and self answering questions

If you are satisfied with your curent setup there is never any reasons to change it
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                          Just changing to the classic interface isn't enough since this change trips up some programs. Of course there are also the EULA and activation issues....

Dr. Mordrid
                          Really? Which ones? I had not realized it, but my use of XP has been short and limited.

Comment

Working...
                          X