• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This sounds too good to be true..

but I hope it's not a hoax

That's some serious compression.
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

The articel is quite old (2001); it was not very well covered in the Belgian press (e.g. only Teletekst on national TV, not in the news broadcasts or in the papers). IIRC, compression was quite intense (couple of hours); decompression went in realtime (e.g. for playback of video)

The link to which is pointed doesn't seem to work now.

Strange thought that if the technology is *that* feasible, we still haven't heard more from it.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I hear all kinds of stuff:

"He died and took the secret with him!"

"It's possible, but only in theory!"

Frankly, there are THEORETICAL compression schema that will allow you to put an entire dictionary into one longish prime number.

The problem is that decompression takes as long, if not longer, than compression. And we're talking DAYS here, and although you can store the compressed image on a floppy, you need an inconveniently large terabyte hard disk to store the working data for decompression.

As pointed out in some of the comments on this article, his claim that he uses "letters instead of just 1's and 0's" are bizarre, since computers... last I checked... still run on binary.

Gpar_
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Sounds a lot like the Zeosync compression

http://pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,79223,00.asp
        The details of how exactly ZeoSync's technology works are murky. In its press release announcing the "breakthrough", the West Palm Beach, Florida-based company provided a complex explanation, saying that the technology "intentionally randomizes naturally occurring patterns to form entropy-like random sequences" and then "encodes these singular-bit-variance strings within complex combinatorial series to result in massively reduced ... equivalents."
        Don't click on the Zeosync link ( ), the site is gone

Rakido
        "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

All bullshit! You can quote me
          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

All bullshit!
            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Originally posted by KeiFront
              quote:
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All bullshit!
              I will quote KeiFront, quoting you.
              "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

"I may not have morals, but I have standards."
                I'm quoting Byock's quote
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Who is he quoting anyway? (Or must it be "whom..."?)

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Total BS... And now, someone can quote me...

Comment

Bah, I've designed a compression system that can compress an entire dictionary into a single bit! True, the compression software is a tad bloated, and only works well in very tightly defined applications (compressing/decompresing a specific dictionary for example .)

Comment

Working...
                      X