Which VNC do you use, and WHY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which VNC do you use, and WHY?

I've gone through 3 different versions of it, and each has its plusses and minus's. I personally like TightVNC the most so far.

And for those of you who don't know what VNC is:

Ultra http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    Tight http://www.tightvnc.com/
    Real http://www.realvnc.com/
    Real VNC
    0%
    Tight VNC
    0%
    Ultra VNC
    0%
    Other
    0%
    Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
    MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
    Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
    Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Real VNC, works well, with SSH.
    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

er, Citrix
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Terminal services/remote desktop is my favourite
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

DameWare is my prefered method. If both systems are WinXP/2k3 then I used the built-in one.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
            DameWare is my prefered method. If both systems are WinXP/2k3 then I used the built-in one.

Jammrock
            I'm glad you mentioned that, how exactly do you enable that? I have all XP machines at home right now, so I'd really like to know.

Unfortunately from work to home I have to stick w/some version of VNC. I'd like to know what all you guys use in case I'm missing out on something more reliable, and of course, free always helps!
            Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
            MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
            Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
            Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
              Terminal services/remote desktop is my favourite
              Yuppers!
              XP's Remote Desktop is slick & fast.
              The host must be XP, but the remote client can be any windows version (maybe not 95)

It is somewhat faster than the VNC I tried (don't remember which one)

chuck
              Last edited by cjolley; 30 July 2003, 13:08.
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Byock
                Real VNC, works well, with SSH.
                Byock, How do you enable SSH? I have not used Real VNC in a while, but the other versions, I'm trying UltraVNC right now, does not have an SSH option. Thanks much!
                Go Bunny GO!

Titan:

Mini:

Server:

Comment

Haven't been using any VNC for a while ... the last one i used was that free one from the UK, but i can't remember the name!
                  no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Originally posted by mmp121
                    I'm glad you mentioned that, how exactly do you enable that? I have all XP machines at home right now, so I'd really like to know.

Unfortunately from work to home I have to stick w/some version of VNC. I'd like to know what all you guys use in case I'm missing out on something more reliable, and of course, free always helps!

chuck
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Tis not too hard, here is a walkthru...

SSH
                      "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

eSVNC... but judging from the webpage it looks like it evolved into UltraVNC now

Comment

tight VNC can be used with SSH, and with the right setting its a lot faster than terminal services

Comment

RealVNC cos it was the first one I could find the download link for.

Works much better than dameware imo - I find that really slow. Do like how you can remotely install it though.

Otherwise Terminal Services on win2k servers or remote desktop on xp machines.

Would LOVE to find a way of getting terminal services installed on a win2k pro box - it must be possible somehow.

Comment

TightVNC here ..

it has some neat options, but I never found a way to get the 2nd head (Win2k system running Matrox cards in independant DH mode)

anybody got a clue how to do that ?
                              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                              LG BH10LS38
                              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
                              X