Video card memory tester?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video card memory tester?

A friend of mine is looking for some software that can test his video card's memory. Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

I don't know of any software like that, unless its provided by the vid card manufacturer. You basically have to do some low level writes to the video card, while disabling screen refresh access to the framebuffer, and its going to be differant for each chip and memory structure. I've seen some video card manufacturers who have software like this to run diagnostics on their own card for troubleshooting.. have him check out on the card maker's website for something like this.

Comment

Well there's the "artifact tester", which does something ... similar ... but for an actual memory tester? Hard to find.

Gpar_
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

For Asus GeForce cards the Smart Doctor utility allows "on screen memory testing" not sure what that really means, but dunno if that helps

Comment

Okay thanks, I'll have him look at the manufacturer's site.

He basically had a brown out and eventually discovered that his RAM went bad. So he wants to test all his components before the warrenty runs out next month.
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
          X