No announcement yet.

read this if you still have an IBM Deskstar 75GXP or 60GXP hdd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could be. I was talking to some guys in data recovery, and the issue seems to be that the DeathStars do NOT like pressure changes.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC
      Plain IDE controller here - not SATA or RAID... Maybe I'll try sticking in to an older Compaq Deskpro I have here as that's all Intel and more basic. Never know - it could be the IDE controller or something (I have an Abit NF7-S)
      Well, I get the same thing on my Asus SIS board.
      My Abit BE2-v2 hard locks sometimes when writing to floppies, so I don't want to test on it.

Next stop: my wifes BF-6, you can't get much more plain vanilla than that, so here's hoping.

My drives are both warranty replacements. (second generation )
      I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
      chuck
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

I have two 75GXP drives for almost 3 years and the strange thing is that I never had any problems with them. Bouth are DTLA-307030, one is made in Hungary and the other in Philipines. Thay were running both in RAID 0 (stripping) and independently. The only explanation that I can think of is proper cooling which they had from the very first day of their service.

Today I've updated the firmware to the latest (OA5AA) revision and didn't notice any changes in drive performanse. As reliability concerns... well, we'll see.
        Last edited by magician; 3 September 2003, 06:49.

Comment

Originally posted by magician
          I have two 75GXP drives for almost 3 years and the strange thing is that I never had any problems with them. Bouth are DTLA-307030, one is made in Hungary and the other in Philipines. Thay were running both in RAID 0 (stripping) and independently. The only explanation that I can think of is proper cooling which they had from the very first day of their service.

Today I've updated the firmware to the latest (OA5AA) revision and didn't notice any changes in drive performanse. As reliability concerns... well, we'll see.
          Lucky you.
          I have a 2 drive set that I've had to replace twice!
          Definitely not a cooling problem either.
          Though, they did upgrade me from 45 gig drives to 60 gig drives the first time
          chuck
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
            Though, they did upgrade me from 45 gig drives to 60 gig drives the first time
            Ahhh, the joys of (long) warrantees and ever-increasing platter-densities

T.
            FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
              Ahhh, the joys of (long) warrantees and ever-increasing platter-densities

T.
              Yup, I think they had to replace so many 45s that they ran out of replacement parts
              chuck
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

One of my drives is a warranty replacement (a 40Gb for a 30Gb) and the other drive (20Gb) is still the original, but quite a bit newer than the original 30Gb - both are ICL- model numbers.

Comment

Well, nuts.

Both of mine are IC35L060AVER07-0 models.
                  I used Becky's Abit BF-6 plain BX MB drive controler and got the same result.
                  The test program says they need the upgrade (with an "!" no less), but the updater says the drives don't need it.

I guess when I get home I will read the info off the log files & shoot them an e-mail.
                  (or, just shoot them )
                  chuck

PS Just to add insult to injury, I broke my CD burner taking the front panel off my computer to move the drives.
                  Last edited by cjolley; 4 September 2003, 06:35.
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                  X