Intel® Pentium® 4 processor Extreme Edition 3.20 GHz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel® Pentium® 4 processor Extreme Edition 3.20 GHz

WHEN, AT today's IDF opening, Louis Burns demonstrated a high-definition video stream running on a "mystery" desktop processor, everyone must hve thought it was the upcoming Prescott part. Wrong! It was the (also upcoming), previously unheard of, even at The Inq, Intel® Pentium® 4 processor Extreme Edition 3.20 GHz , with an extra 2 Megabytes. In Intel's own words, "this new processor will be targeted at high-end gamers and computing power users."

Play free online games and win real prizes at Gembly! All your favorite solitaire games, card games, dice games against real players. Play and win!

Looks interesting.

Comment

I wonder how much could that cost?

HFU

Comment

close to a grand knowing Intel.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

LOL Intel's "answer to Sept 23"

but... increasing cache and try to get better performance... not the best approch eh?

Comment

hehe...after seeing the athlon 64's with 1Mb cache, intel could not resist

Comment

Predictable
              Wonder who will be able to afford it?
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

i just hope they make the p4 capable of DP .... the P4 s advance better than the xeons interms of technology... 800fsb vs 533.... and the chipsets too....
                "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                  close to a grand knowing Intel.

Jammrock

Given the price of AMD's forthcoming Athlon 64 FX, we'd expect the 3.2GHz Pentium 4 Extreme Edition to be priced accordingly. We are hearing that the processor will be priced around $740 in 1,000 unit quantities.
                  Damn I remember paying about $200 bucks for my Althon 2100+ back a year ago
                  Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Just read about the chip at ZDNet. The P4EE will sport 2 MB of Level 3 cache, ala the Xeon MP chips. They say the performance boost is significant.

For $700+ it better wipe my @$$ after I take a dump.

PS - Those are some crappy looking boxes that they demoed the P4EE on, from the Anandtech link above. They could have at least shelling out for a CoolerMaster or Lian Li case for the demo. Or had one of their bed buddies like Dell build them a PC with one of their decent looking XPS cases. If you are releasing an "extreme" CPU for "extreme" gamers, you better make the box look "extreme" damn it!!

Jammrock
                    Last edited by Jammrock; 17 September 2003, 05:58.
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Intel made a Xeon 3.06 with an additional 1MB of L3 cache to top the low-end part of the Xeon line. Tom's Hardware tested it and found out it did not increase the preformance that much, in some programs not at all.

In addition it was beaten by the Opteron...

Comment

I would think it really is based on xeon pressed into service for desktops.

Also there will be quite a few thing that will use the extra cache, particulary in workstations.

But I would think with HT and a fat cache this would be one smooth CPU, eg very few stall's you would get a very consistant frame rates out of it. It's going to be very nice running multiple intensive app's.

But I still like the amd64 better

Comment

aperantly Intel still have one more surprise coming in.... i wonder
                          "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Prescott is having problems with 0.09um tho. Hopefully AMD has this time to ramp up their chips' clock speed!

Image a 3.2GHz Athlon FX 64 scoring 400003dmark and 600fps in Q3A

damn it, I am so nVIDIOT!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SpiralDragon
                              aperantly Intel still have one more surprise coming in.... i wonder
                              I'm guessing Yamhill.
                              Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Working...
                              X