550W Enermax PSU Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 550W Enermax PSU Question...

Very basic question, but I just got me a 550W Enermax PSU. There is a 4pin molex connector that is sleeved in black apart from the other 4pin connectors, and I was wondering if there was anything special about this one or why it is sleeved when the others are not. My Antec PSU did not have this, so was wondering if it was something new or something that my Antec just didn't have. Seems to act like any other 4pin connector (has all 4 pins, etc, not just two) and I have my watercooling system hooked up to it right now. It comes straight from the PSU too and no other 4pin connectors are linked to it. Any info would be appreciated.
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

This reviewer asks the same question but speculates it may be intended for providing extra power for some video cards.

Page three of review
    Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

Some mainboards have an additional 4pin molex connector. This was originaly for users with powersupplies without the P4 connector.
      Some server MB's require a 24 pin ATX connector and they somtimes have a 4 pin molex connector to replace the 4 extra pins on the ATX connector.
      It is also possible, as mentioned in the review, that it is for the powerhungry VGA cards.

Comment

If you find a spot to plug it in, plug it in

(That's my motto for everything...)

Comment

And if theres a large blue flash you know you've got the wrong one.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

ROTFLMAO
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
              And if theres a large blue flash you know you've got the wrong one.
              I've seen the results too many times
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Well like I said, my watercooling system is running off it and so far nothing has blown up, heh. So I guess it's just an extra one. I would use it on the video card except that it uses a 3pin instead. Thanks for the info all.
                System Specs:
                Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
                May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
                Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
                And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
                just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
                For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

I remember seeing a Dell PC with some black rubber covers on the spare molex connectors. I dunno if your Enermax has the same thing, but if so, they're just covers and nothing special.

Comment

Working...
                  X