No announcement yet.

Dammit, fried my bios...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your are getting the "failed due to CPU OC" you should really double check or your mememory settings & timings, eg safe CAS setting and make sure the memory/fsb divider is set properly.

eh, I am not sure you really want to try this ...but you could try a hot swap flash

You could try booting up with your new good bios chip, and then remove it and put in the old one and flash it with whatever bios you think is approiate.

I don't really recomend it but, it might get your old bios chip up and running, and keep your new safe as a backup..

PS have you thought about the "bios savior' thingy that some people are raving about?

Comment

Everything to do with memory speeds and dividers is set to auto, which has always worked properly in the past. I'll double check what the resulting speeds are though.

I think I'll pass on the hot swap flash though, sounds way too risky.

What's this "bios saviour" thing? I haven't heard of that.
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Allag life's a bummer isn't it. Sorry to see you're having problems.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

It may be getting carried away, but if your are having bad bios promblems it could be worth it.

I have heard about it in several forums, the people using it seem very happy with it, Its a good tool for mad tweakers, but Overkill for most people

Comment

Yeah, I think that's a bit extreme for my needs. Considering a brand new motherboard is only about three times the cost of it, there's not much point to it. After some more googling, it seems this may be either a CPU problem, or a CPU cooling problem. I'm going to throw a bigger cooler on there at some point this week, and if that doesn't do it, I'll use this as an excuse to go get a 2400+
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

If you feel really brave, now that you have the computer posting on your new bios you could hot swap the old chip in and reflash it to older bios (which didn't give post error) . I saw decent document on bios recovery here:

I have recovered 2 bios' using the hot swap procedure but now I have a galep-4 programmer to do the dirty work.

All though, I must agree with you, it's a pretty good excuse to upgrade to a 2400+. You should definately do that first
              Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

Working...
              X