KaZaA and NAT... news!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fred H:

I guess not. It's really only needed if you're running behind NAT or a router...

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
      Fred H:

I guess not. It's really only needed if you're running behind NAT or a router...

- Gurm
      Actually, the fact that he has a 192.x.x.x address means he is behind a firewall and he is using NAT. 192.x.x.x is not a routable address. His setup is similar to how a company sets up a network.

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

There is maybe a connection: I am unable to setup an FTP server on my own PC. My ISP doesn’t permit it. There is a firewall as I know and the ISP has told me that he "opens" the p2p nightime. So, there we are.
        I have to choose between to keep my actualy wireless LAN at 1 Mbps behind a firewall, no FTP server, slower Kazaa/iMesh but no extra HW- or ADSL with new HW at lower bandwidth, only 512 kbps but faster p2p, yes to FTP server larger storage capacity for the same $ as the wLAN.
        I will think about it.
        Thanks for your help.
        Fred H
        It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
        ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Ahrm.

If your ISP is setting up NAT, you may have difficulty with this program. I had missed the part about you having a 192.* subnet.

Basically you HAVE to be able to route to the outside world, and your ISP is not likely to set up Kazaa port forwarding just for you, so you're pretty much SOL. Sorry.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Thanks, Gurm.
            It’s probably so, and I already have had problems with e.g. Internet phone before. Not to mention the FTP, as I said. My son-in-law's ADSL works much better in p2p, FTP etc, but nothing is perfect.
            Time to time I use to have discussions with the ISP in this direction, for opening ports, etc.
            Unfortunately I didn’t have any other broadband possibilities for two years ago, when I started this one.
            No ADSL than, but now I could change ISP. Maybe it would be better for me anyway.

Regards,
            Fred H

Comment

It would DEFINITELY be better to use an ISP that isn't forcing NAT on you.

It's bad enough that they force us to use PPPoE (which is EVIL), but to force you behind a portforward that you have no control over?

If they won't give me an actual IP address, they can't have my money. Period.

- Gurm

Comment

Well, about the only thing I like about my current ADSL provider is that they arnt using PPPoE

All others Are using PPPoE, and marginally cheper cost aint woth PPPoE, if I could get 2mbit or more It might be interesting
                But not as it is now
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Technoid,
                  do you have "Spray"?
                  If I'm right they have not PPPoE? Anyway, my son-in-law has it and he has not much to complain with this ISP (Spray).

Gurm,
                  you're right.
                  If I will be really angry over my ISP, than I'll go ADSL. My 24 months contract is already out, so...
                  Unfortunately I have the HW for the wireless and I must think 2X before I'll invest in new HW (ADSL modem etc).

Fred H

Comment

a USB ADSL modem will set you back 30 EUR (we've got tons of them here), so i don't think it's a reason to delay the obvious thing you should do...

Comment

Oh you're WIRELESS. See, the things that weren't clear to me before...

- Gurm

Comment

Originally posted by Fred H
                        Technoid,
                        do you have "Spray"?
                        If I'm right they have not PPPoE? Anyway, my son-in-law has it and he has not much to complain with this ISP (Spray).

Fred H
                        Telia

The worst blodsuckers in the Telecom buissnes, but atleast they don't use PPPoE

Originally posted by Kurt
                        a USB ADSL modem will set you back 30 EUR (we've got tons of them here), so i don't think it's a reason to delay the obvious thing you should do...
                        Why in the world would he want some Crappy POS??

USB ADSL modems are utter CRAPP!!

Ethernet adsl modem is a much more painless solution and while they do cost a bit more it's worth it
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Here in the USA we get the sweet deals.

Cable companies just "rent" you the cable modem for an extra few bucks a month - and then they upgrade you whenever it gets outdated. I've gone through 2 in the past 6 months alone.

DSL companies usually let you sign a one-year contract and get the modem for free. Not a bad deal, really.

- Gurm

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                            USB ADSL modems are utter CRAPP!!

Ethernet adsl modem is a much more painless solution and while they do cost a bit more it's worth it
                            Agreed get a decent Ethernet modem. Much better than an usb one
                            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

You tell me why you don't like the USB modems. I've used and installed Alcatel (now Thomson), Asus, Topcom, Tornado, Billion and whatnot and never had any problem with them (except Tornado with their crap dirvers). Speed is the same and except for the crappy Tornado drivers there's NO reason whatsoever to use them instead of an ethernet one -unless you want to NAT the whole house, and they don't cost anything.

You can even have and adsl + router thingy for about 70 EUR.

I'm using an ethernet modem and I can download at up to 350K. My father in law has one of the first USB ones and he's also downloading at 350K if not faster (he's got 4MBps instead of 3.3 for me only because he's closer to a server -bastard! ).

Anyway, you tell me...

Comment

USB = bad.

USB System Priority = low.

USB = BAD.

Especially for those of us that LIKE our low pings online, USB = BAD.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                                X