best Plasma TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by borat
    projection is not an option, seen them in action and the lighting issue is too bug for me to ignore
    If front projection is an issue only due to lighting, you should look at rear projection. The latest rear projection TVs are fabulous. IMO they look even better than plasma, don't have any problems with ambient light, and are much more space (and cost) efficient than CRT. The newer ones have surprising shallow cabinets. Seriously, go out to the shop and take a look.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
      If front projection is an issue only due to lighting, you should look at rear projection. The latest rear projection TVs are fabulous. IMO they look even better than plasma, don't have any problems with ambient light, and are much more space (and cost) efficient than CRT. The newer ones have surprising shallow cabinets. Seriously, go out to the shop and take a look.
      The DLP and LCD rear-projections look really nice, but carry a near plasma screen price tag. Panasonic's LCD rear-projection TV's looks absolutely freak'n fabulous and have CRT/plasma level contrast and brightness. The 50" set is only 15.3" (38 cm) deep and runs $3000 USD.

I know there are DLP rear-projection sets, but I have not personally seen one.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Hi borat,
        I have two plasma TV's a 43" Pioneer (£4100) and a 32" Sony (£2399).

I have had the Pioneer (PDP-503HDE) for about a year now and I don't have any "burn in" problems.
        There are a two dead pixels ... they were dead when it was delivered .... I was told that they can't guarantee no dead pixels.
        That said its a great TV and I don't "see" the dead pixels ... I use it with a Pioneer DVD/Surround Sound system... and it is very good indeed.
        The TV tuner that goes with it is a bit bulky.

The Sony (KE-32TS2) has anti "burn in" technology... I haven't had it too long.... but there are certainly no burn in problems.
        There are no dead pixels and the picture is much better than the Pioneer ... but then it's the sane resolution on a smaller size TV.
        The DVD/surround sound system I use with it is also Sony and is way way better than the Pioneer.
        This one also has the added big bonus of having the TV tuner built in.

Both have the ability to switch between formats PAL/NTSC both hang beautifully on the wall and don't stick out too far.

As for life span ... I don't know but the 30,00 hours mentioned by Jammrock does cheer me up some what !

If I was now going to buy a new plasma I would probably get a Sony KE-42TS2 (£3229 - http://www.greatsaves.co.uk/product.asp?id=1793 )

Cheers.
        Last edited by Paddy the wak; 20 November 2003, 10:19.
        My Systems :
        Athlon 64 FX-55, 580W-Tagan SLi, Asus A8N SLi Deluxe, 2 x 74Gb WD Raptor 10K RPM RAID, 2 GB Corsair TwinX-XL, 2 x 512Mb PCI-E GF7800GTX SLI, SB Audigy2, Dell 2405FPW.

P4 3.2GHz - ABIT IC7-G – Matrox Parhelia 128 8x AGP - 2GB 3200 DDR
        480W Whisper Quiet PS - 2 x 160 GB HD - 3 x 19” Viewsonic TFT’s 3840x1024
        Surround Gaming - The way it's meant to be played

Comment

I have two plasma TV's a 43" Pioneer (£4100) and a 32" Sony (£2399).
          I wish I had $10700 to spend on TV's

Jammrock

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
            I wish I had $10700 to spend on TV's

Jammrock
            I went through this exercise about a year ago. I finally ended up with a Mitsubishi WS55311 55" rear projection set ($2100, a customer return to Sears). It's "HDTV Ready" - there's an extra $1000 to spend for their "Promise Module", which adds FireWire and HDTV tuning to the unit. It does 1080i and 480p natively (strangely, few HDTV sets actualy did 720p at the time I bought it.)

I got this one because it is a 3-CRT system. The trouble with any LCD/DLP, and even standard CRT's is the fact that there are a specific number of pixels. The processor has to scale whatever the source is to the exact number of pixels the display chip has, and this causes weird stretching effects. (on a CRT, it causes edge discoloration, since the "pixels" are RGB phosphor triples) This is not too pronounced since you will be watching mostly moving video, which reduces the effect, but it still may be noticeable. To see this, play a DVD on your computer monitor, but size the output window to some weird size, like 1.33x the source resolution.

So, I'd recommend a 3-CRT front or rear projector.

(as an aside, I have seen the Runco 50" plasma and it's a stunning piece of work. The images are absolutely perfect, unless you view from 6 inches away. Sadly, it's a $13000 piece of work. )

- Steve

edited to take out obviously stupid comment I made about Jammrock's not-so-stupid math.

duh
            Last edited by spadnos; 20 November 2003, 11:52.

Comment

@Jammrock: agree with you, DLP is the way to go... if you have enough money to burn, you have some nice models from JVC and Sharp that will happily display anything you want in an extremely well lit environment (too much light for humans will do too)...starting at 15.000 EUR for entry level models.

Comment

I saw a 30" Philips LCD-TV (not back projection) in action some time ago and it looked absolutely great. Never seen a nicer picture, not on CRT, Plasma or back projection (all back projected screens I've seen look like s**t).

Consider that one. It's a tad expensive though.

Look here.

Comment

ok ill take a look at the projections again then, last time i looked about 4 years ago they were absolute dog sh*t, still its only a trip down the road to see em in action, thanks for the input guys much appreciated, ill keep you posted when i decide what im gettijng and what i think of it.
                  is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                  Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Here you go borat:

Comment

$35k!!!!!!! thats rediculous! i could buy a very nice TVR for that money!

rear projection is looking appealing but i've got 1 question to anyone who has one, outside of the stores which they can keep artificially dark, is the brightness good enough to watch in daylight with windows open, and further to that would you be able to tell the difference between projection and CRT these days?

Comment

IMO, the LCD rear-projector TV from Panasonic can, the others might, but I have not seen any other. The Samsung DLP might as well. Only the best and highest end rear-projection CRT (what normal rear projector TV's use) can pull off enough light.

Look at the Hitachi Ultravisions, Pioneer Elites and Mitsubishi's KvH recommended. They are your best bets for a good picture in natural light.

Jammrock

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock

Look at the Hitachi Ultravisions, Pioneer Elites and Mitsubishi's KvH recommended. They are your best bets for a good picture in natural light.

Jammrock
                          sorry KvH thought they were front projections you were talking about there, will check out english availability on those

Comment

Originally posted by borat
                            $35k!!!!!!! thats rediculous! i could buy a very nice TVR for that money!

rear projection is looking appealing but i've got 1 question to anyone who has one, outside of the stores which they can keep artificially dark, is the brightness good enough to watch in daylight with windows open, and further to that would you be able to tell the difference between projection and CRT these days?
                            No problems with mine except for the few days twice a year where the suns angle thru my skylight shines directly on the screen.
                            Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

Originally posted by HomeBrewer
                              No problems with mine except for the few days twice a year where the suns angle thru my skylight shines directly on the screen.
                              even on a regular TV...

Comment

Working...
                              X