SiS 748, 745, or nforce2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kurt
    see, the MSI 745 Ultra is NOT budget when you make an apple-apple comparison.

the ECS is budget, it goes for 30 EUR. The MSI is NOT budget, it goes for 55 EUR. One is about twice the price of the other.
    That's just a matter of demand. The ECS was $60 when the MSI was $65.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
      My A7S333 is extremely stable (never seen a blue screen of death after purchasing ~1yr, although it lacks a bit of features oh well.
      I managed to kill mine

Oh well I got a MSI 745 to replace it
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
        I managed to kill mine
        I have one too.
        Never had any problems with it, but never OCed it either.
        How did yours die?
        chuck
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
          That's just a matter of demand. The ECS was $60 when the MSI was $65.
          board revisions.

you never wonder how ECS can sell them for 30 while MSi not? it's not all marketing...

Comment

ECS and board revisions. There's a mutually exclusive duo.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

board revisions.

you never wonder how ECS can sell them for 30 while MSi not? it's not all marketing...
              No, it's not marketing, it's basic economics. The MSI is a better, more tweakable board. The ECS was manufactured in much larger quantities. So, not only has ECS's price/unit gone down over time, but MSI has not been manufacturing boards. So, the supply is much tighter for the MSI.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm

- Gurm
                What's the rev of the latest K7S5A?

Comment

No, it's not marketing, it's basic economics. The MSI is a better, more tweakable board. The ECS was manufactured in much larger quantities. So, not only has ECS's price/unit gone down over time, but MSI has not been manufacturing boards. So, the supply is much tighter for the MSI.
                  Yes, but I think you're forgetting the whole B.O.M. thingy there...it's not all demand vs offer. Sure ECS is making more SIS boards, but I doubt they can cut 30 EUR on a board just by getting a better deal on components (all things being equal). They cut corners on about everything. That's what makes it a budget board...

Comment

I'm seriously considering the ASROCK with SATA and RAID for a whopping $54!

- Gurm
                    What's stopping you? I got mine a few weeks ago when it was $59 . Anyways, I managed to put together the bare minimum(case, cpu, heatsink, mobo, and memory, video card) last night and fired it up. It powered on and
                    posted, so I was happy. Will try and install an OS on it today.
                    RC Agent
                    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
                    AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
                    AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Comment

Yes, but I think you're forgetting the whole B.O.M. thingy there...it's not all demand vs offer. Sure ECS is making more SIS boards, but I doubt they can cut 30 EUR on a board just by getting a better deal on components (all things being equal). They cut corners on about everything. That's what makes it a budget board...
                      Then why was it $60 when the MSI was $65? Was it budget then too?
                      It's not only components, but also fixed costs. Whether you sell 10 boards or a billion, it still costs the same to design it, test it, negotiate deployment, license the technology, etc, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                        I have one too.
                        Never had any problems with it, but never OCed it either.
                        How did yours die?
                        chuck

I killed my ASUS A7S333 by screwing up the BIOS flash some how...first time I've ever done that and before Y2K I did hundreds of BIOS updates with out a single failure
                        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Then why was it $60 when the MSI was $65? Was it budget then too?
                          It's not only components, but also fixed costs. Whether you sell 10 boards or a billion, it still costs the same to design it, test it, negotiate deployment, license the technology, etc, etc.
                          Was it high end? Has it _ever_ been anything _but_ budget?

What changed between rev 1.0 and rev 5.0?

Ever noticed that the K7S5A and the 745_Ultra do not use the same chipset?

Did you notice how nobody was making boards on SIS 735 before them?

That's ECS method: buy a million chipsets that are out of date and make cheap boards. (all discounters do the same in fact).

Same method for the old Durons they bought from AMD ans sold back soldered on their mainboards as Pro1200+ CPUs (now Pro2000+).

Comment

Get your facts straight, because they're horribly skewed? Nobody touched the 735 because SiS made it, and they'd been making poor products before that. ECS made them because they're the same damn company - follow the ownership holdings.

Comment

The ECS equivalent is the K7S6A (SIS 745).
                              Leadtek touched the SIS 735, my brother (still) has one in his system. It was in the early stage while they were testing the market along with Via KT266 boards, untill they went nVidia and nobody finds it weird anymore that Leadtek makes motherboards.

Comment

- Gurm
                                Not so. There have been 3 revisions of the K7S5A ending with the current Pro model which is version 5.

Dr. Mordrid
                                Dr. Mordrid
                                ----------------------------
                                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                                X