Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick question: NT boot

Hello,

A quick question: we have harddiskproblems on a Windows 2000 computer. I managed to copy the partitions onto another harddisk (using another computer).

What do I need to do to get NT to boot from this new harddisk (mainboard et al. is the same) ?

I'm thinking recovery console (boot from CD), then fixboot and fixmbr... Will this work ?
    (fixmbr alone didn't seem to have done the trick)

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Ok, this didn't work: it says "NTLDR is missing. Press ctrl+alt+del to reboot"

Do I need to go through the entire W2K repaire procedure ? :-(

Jörg
    pixar

Comment

edit the boot.ini and make sure that it is pointing to the correct partition.
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Assuming that you have one IDE disk and that Windows is installed on the first partition, it should look like this:

[boot loader]
        timeout=30
        default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WinNT
        [operating systems]
        multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Yes, but I can't boot it to edit the boot.ini.
          But I'm assuming the file is correct, as nothing has changed to the configuration (original disk had 2 partitions, NT was installed on primary; this copy is the exact same).
          I have read that the changed size of the disk might be a cause; suggested solution is booting from bootdisks and then run "sys c:"
          edit: now creating the bootdisks....

Jörg
          Last edited by VJ; 3 December 2003, 06:55.
          pixar

Comment

an alternative option to re-create the boot.ini is to boot from the installation disk, repair the old installation and then abort after the first reboot.

Your boot.ini will be correctly formatted, and all you have to do is delete the temp. install files.

Comment

If I start the installation from CD, it detects an existing installation (for the recovery console), but not for automatic recovery . Starting a new installation also detects the existing one, and says it will delete \WINNT and "documents and settings", ...

(it is still booting from the floppies)

Aarggh, now it just asks the W2000 CD!

Jörg
              Last edited by VJ; 3 December 2003, 07:09.
              pixar

Comment

use the floppies and check the boot.ini

"NTLDR is missing. Press ctrl+alt+del to reboot" means it cannot find the boot partition

Comment

yes, but what do I select after it has booted ? Apparently, I made the wrong choice, and it asked for the CD (and I could have just booted from the CD).

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

Check your pm

Comment

you have a copy of ERD Commander 2002 lying around?

Comment

VJ, you can't simply copy a partition files over another and hope the new partition to be a system one.

Why don't you simply use ghost to phisically copy the partitions?
                        I did that tens of times...
                        Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Kurt: nope...
                          Drizzt: 1. I don't have Ghost 2. reading the system portions seems to hang the disk 3. The disks are different sizes 4. The partition is formatted as system, the computer boots from it, only W2K not (yet?)...

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ

Drizzt: 1. I don't have Ghost 2. reading the system portions seems to hang the disk 3. The disks are different sizes 4. The partition is formatted as system, the computer boots from it, only W2K not (yet?)...
                            1. You can find it somewhere...
                            2. It's the part of the disk you need
                            3. It's not a problem for Ghost or PM
                            4. It's obvious that the computer boots from it. You can easily format a disk with FAT16, copy over it an entire linux disk...and? Do you think it can boot?
                            I hope for you that you can make it work, but I doubt it.
                            Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Ok, I found the issue: there is no boot.ini, io.sys, msdos.sys, ntdetect.com and ntldr in the root!

I will try to copy them manually...

Jörg
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X