No announcement yet.

Backing up Data what do you use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDDs on a second machine for critical-and-often copies; less often onto CD-R (but still regularly). For stuff that's REALLY critical, and relatively small, I bung it on to one of my personal network drives at work via the Citrix connection from home and let them worry about daily etc backups
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

At the moment im using a hard drive chassis, I keep a 200 gig in it most of the time. When I need to do a backup i have a spare carrier with a 120gig drive in it. reboot swap drives, copy data
      All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream -Edgar Allan Poe-

Comment

backup .... hmmmmm yes i need to o one of those
        hmmmmm

Comment

Robocopy to a share on the network works great. Easily scripted, and pretty reliable.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

We have gone to RAID-based NAS (Network Attached Storage)units for most of our site's nightly backups... beats the hell out of tape in terms of speed and reliability.

Backups that used to take 2-3 hours now run in about 10 minutes...restores are about the same. And, the backups can be automated to hash several times per day (Partial backups of files that have been altered): so instead of a "nightly" backup, you can conceivably set the NAS to back up every 3,6, 8 or 12 hours to have even better disaster recovery characteristics.

I store all of my critical files on a RAID1 array on my fileserver: the drives are well-cooled and run on a UPS-protected circuit.
            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

One DVD will hold all my critical stuff, the rest can be reinstalled, good enough for my home system.

But we have a couple of DAT tapes that backup overnight at work, pretty crappy actually since just recovering some files from a small misshap is a huge hassles, but I guess its mainly for disaster recovery, I have hinted on occasion a couple of HDD's would be a lot easier.

Comment

HDs would be easier, but they're not as safe. Tapes just tend to be a lot more physically durable.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hard Drives and CD-R's, need to find a better solution though as it is manual at the moment and I need way to many CD-R's

Comment

Manual to CD (now made the switch to DVD). I only backup my data and I make sure I have installation files for all the software I need.
                    In the (unlikely) event of problems, it takes some time to restore, but I won't have lost files...

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                      HDs would be easier, but they're not as safe. Tapes just tend to be a lot more physically durable.
                      Not really... if you want durability, it M.O. all the way. Be prepared to pay the price though...the 9.1GB drives don't come cheap...

Comment

If You drop a tape in its case down a flight of stairs, chances are it will still be ok. That is not going to happen with a HDD it'll be dead.

Comment

Working...
                        X