No announcement yet.

New Cpu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, 3dfx, what's your budget for CPU/Mobo(/RAM? How fast is your current RAM?)?

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
      The XP2500+ is CHEAP and most people claim to be able to get 3200+ speeds out of them. Did you try overclocking, GNEP?
      Yup - just tried a brief tweak, and (a) it's a week 44 Barton so the multiplier is locked and (b) by memory doesn't seem to want to go over 170 it seems - even with extra voltage and relaxed timings - so some time next year i'll get some new ram (was going to double capacity in this machine anyway...), and shuffle sticks around boxes (I think that would finally move SDR mem out of the house ) which should let me get that 400FSB and 3200+ speeds. Anyway at the moment the only real noticable difference would be in Climate Prediction!
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

£200 - £230 I dont really want to go much more, my current DDR speed is 2700.

Comment

The xp2500 would be a nice upgrade(was for me ).

I think changing mobo and cpu, now for a P4 would be a bit of a waste as any board you bought is will be end of line anyway and the perfomance difference is not worth it.

Get the barton and save $$ for a big upgrade next year, then you will have the choice of an athlon 64 or the new improved intel heater

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
            I agree with everything Technoid said - however, the P4 does seem to be stronger for gaming, especially with an 800MHz bus.
            Gaming is absolutely not something to go by. It depends a whole lot more on what videoboard you get.

Comment

True, but I think the OP was most interested in gaming performance...
              Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

I know my mobo supports Thoroughbred upto 2600 XP, though I'm not sure if it supports the barton.

Comment

nforce 1's only officialy support 133 fsb, so a 2600/133 would be your best offiacialy supported CPU.

But if you get an unlocked chip you could up the multiplier or fsb to get where you want, but a 2600/133 if you can find one would be a safer choice.

Comment

check over at overclocker's forums they have all sorts of info there on what boards will do what.
                    NOT that I condone the reading of other boards

with good/quality ram the 745 Ultra i ordered will support the 333 Bartons

Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Originally posted by Dilitante1
                      check over at overclocker's forums they have all sorts of info there on what boards will do what.
                      NOT that I condone the reading of other boards

with good/quality ram the 745 Ultra i ordered will support the 333 Bartons

http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwb/ultimatebb.php
                      Don't count on it: http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41237
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Like I said Wombat, take a look there

they have had success
                        Last edited by Dilitante1; 8 December 2003, 20:30.
                        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Working...
                        X