Buy a DVD writer now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy a DVD writer now?

I have been wanting one of these puppies for ages now. I quite like the look of the Plextor 708A

Now that I have a real reason for getting one, would you buy one now, or hold off for the higher capacity DVDs?

I would only consider waiting if there will be an affordable new standard in the next 3-4 months.
    Buy - nothing new will be out anytime soon.
    0%
    Wait - Something bigger and better will be out soonTM
    0%
    I wouldn't waste my money....
    0%
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

I forgot to mention that getting a IDE writer would enable me to have one full SCSI rig, and one full IDE - rather than the two hybrids I have at the moment.
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I don't know how long you'll need to wait for a dual-layer burner or anything else new like that, but bear in mind then when it turns up it's going to be expensive to start with anyway.
      Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Yeah.. I dont expect dual-layer to become affordable in the next months... I am just checking before I buy!

Comment

like Doc says " cost per meg a hard drive is the quickest and cheapest solution for backups"

DVD is a nice toy but not everyone has a DVD drive for data portability
          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

I want a SCSI, to match all the other drives in my system
            ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

Comment

like Doc says " cost per meg a hard drive is the quickest and cheapest solution for backups"

DVD is a nice toy but not everyone has a DVD drive for data portability
              The writer is for authoring.

I want a SCSI, to match all the other drives in my system
              I'm the opposite! I'd be more than happy to get an IDE writer so that I can retire my PX1210S to my SCSI rig. Then I can get rid of one of the SCSI adaptors.

Comment

Hey Paddy! I am thinking of buying too.

But after careful thinking, I am deciding to hold byself back a little.

Pioneer just anounced A07 with 8X DVD+/-RW speed. LG is also going to release their 4080B 8X DVD+/-RW with 3X DVD-RAM.

So I'd expect the Plextor's price tag to drop a lot in the up coming month(s).

Just a note about Dual Layer DVD... I thought I posted some info about possibility of 8X to support writing on Dual Layer DVD+RWs...

Few days ago I have read that Banq's new 8X writer will support dual layer DVD+RW with jsut a firmwire upgrade.

Seems like this dual layer possibility on 8X claim is actually "true".

I personally don't know how they will make it work, but if that's the case, damn sweet!

Another concern i have is mt. rainier... Plextor has it on the 708A. I am hoping that others will support it too... true drag drop will make my life a lot easier (I want data backup)

edit: about cost per space, I personally don't like a lot of hard drives, because they are the loudest thing in my computer (even a 7200rpm!) That's why I want a DVD burner... removeable... and not to mention portability. Besides, that's the main usage for my CD burner....
                Last edited by Chrono_Wanderer; 7 December 2003, 18:45.

Comment

I had a borrowed Plextor external DVD burner for a few weeks and really liked it. Before I buy one, I'm going to wait and see about the dual layer support.....maybe the 708s will get a firmware update.

Comment

Two points;

1. DVD-/+R(W) or DVD-RAM are great for incremental document backups as well as authoring.

For drive/OS backups I still advising using GHOST (or something like it) and removable HDD's for the cost/gig and speed reasons noted in other threads.

2. DVD+R DL is due out around April with DVD-R DL on its heels. Both will have an 8.5 gig capacity and are said to be playable on the current dual layer capable DVD decks and drives.

If you feel a $150 investment is an appropriate expense to cover your needs for the next 6 months then go for it then update whenl DL comes out. If not then wait.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 December 2003, 19:50.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                      Two points;2. DVD+R DL is due out around April with DVD-R DL on its heels. Both will have an 8.5 gig capacity and are said to be playable on the current dual layer capable DVD decks and drives.
                      The operative words here being "said to be". It's due out in April, but nobody has even seen a sample, nevermind tested one. I have a funny feeling the compatibility is going to be... what's the word... crap.

----------

Beyond that, bear in mind that Plextors SELDOM come down in price. The Plextor 4x is still a $200 burner, despite the NEC 1300A (a more advanced drive, since the Plextor 4x is based on the 1100A) being around $100 now. There are multimode 4x's all WELL under the price of the Plextor. Plextors carry a hefty premium and always will.

Dual Layer will NOT be cheap, nor will it drive the price of the current generation of burners down substantially.

Buy now, or be prepared to wait another year at least.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Go for it.

You've got something to use it for immediately, it even solves other problems as well, and besides there's always going to be something better on the horizon.

Comment

Actually Doc has a point. Buy one now if you have the money, so you can do some good back-up.

Then wait for DVD+R/W DL to finalize and gets implemented, and get one of those. I'd say that's around early 2005.

So that's a 1 year cycle, I think this sounds reasonable...

BTW, what are the advantages of DVD-RAM over DVD+/-RW for document backups? (Document storage is the main reason I am looking at mt. rainier)

Comment

Cheers!

One year I can cope with, but I would be a tad anoying if there were released in Q1 2004.

Anyone recommend an alternative to the 708A?

Comment

I recently bought a 708A, and am very pleased with it. The drive is silent and burns without problems. Main reason for me was backup (digital photos in RAW : 12 MB per photo), so playback compatibility is not *that* important for me.

Jörg
                              pixar
                              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                              X