No announcement yet.

Buy a DVD writer now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An 8x alternative? Nope, the Plextor is the only 8x that I know is top-quality.

- Gurm

P.S. Chrono - DVD-RAM was the first standard, that's all. It is ... well, it's ALWAYS in perpetual INCD mode. Like one big open session all the time... kinda complex, which is why a lot of drives don't read it.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Hi:

I ordered the Plextor PX-708A 8xDVD burner. Supposed to have it this week.
      This is one computer component where paying extra for reliability pays off.

Happy trails,
      WinXP HE SP1& DX9b; Lian-Li PC-6089 mid alum case; Enermax 550W PSU; P4 2.8b retail; Asus P4T533-C s478/i850e; 1GB PC1066 RIMMs; Promise Ultra133 IDE PCI controller; 2x80GB Maxtor D740x 7200RPM ATA-133 HDDs; OrangeLink FireWire 800/1394b PCI card:
      1x250GB Maxtor One Touch USB2/fw external Ultra ATA-133 7200RPM HDD; Toshiba 16x/48x DVD-ROM; Plextor PX-708A 8xDVD?R/RW CD-R/RW burner; Radeon 9800 XT retail; DVI: Samsung SyncMaster 213L 21.3" TFT; VGA: ViewSonic 22? P225f; TV OUT S-Video: Sony 36? WEGA XBR400 NTSC; TerraTec DMX 6fire LT sound card to Denon 3802 7x110W based HT; on-board LAN to Alcatel ADSL modem; Canon S750 USB printer; Canon D125O USB2 scanner; Logitech diNovo Media Desktop (Bluetooth cordless keyboard/MX900 optical mouse); Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless USB Joystick; Logitech WingMan Strike Force 3D USB joystick; Logitech 2.4GHz Cordless Gamepad/Rumblepad.

Comment

I would wait, Dual layer DVD (8.5Gb) are dure mid-2004...
        System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

PA:

We covered that.

1. They aren't guaranteed compatible.
          2. They're going to open at $500. Hardly "affordable".
          3. They won't substantially drive down the price of the drive he just ordered - meaning that he'll STILL pay the same money in 6 months.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Actually some late word is that many DVD+R drives may be upgradeable to dual layer with just a firmware update. Seems their lasers of the "right" type, which is the major difference hardware wise. Haven't heard if this will be the case with any DVD-R's.

Other than the laser and firmware the other major differences seem to be in the disks themselves.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
              Other than the laser and firmware the other major differences seem to be in the disks themselves.

Dr. Mordrid
              My fingers are crossed.....

Comment

Mine too. But I still have my doubts as to the "Mintek" and "Sylvania" DVD players of the world playing these new media.

- Gurm

Comment

If you have a drive that IS compatible with dual layer, do you think your manufactuere will release an updated firmware.... or make a slightly different drive and insist you buy that instead?

I assume there will be licensing fees for dual layer, and I assume yours/ and my drive maunfactuer would be unwilling to pay for you to have that extra since they already have got the $$ from you.

the liteon 401 is a good example, from all indications using the 411 firmware will give you DVD-R but they trying there best to stop people from doing it.

But I could be wrong, they might all have hearts of gold and want the best for all of us

Comment

Ahh, if it's possible it'll get hacked.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                    X