No announcement yet.

Advice on a HD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things may have changed on the who is the quietest front. On the storagereview.com forums, many people are saying that the new Samsung 160G is much quieter then the Seagates, when it comes to seek noise. As far as spin up noise the samsung is slightly quieter then the seagates. I am about to order one of the drives to see how it compares to my cuda V and 7200.2.

I have been using a Samsung 40G drive in my windows computer for the last 2 years and have not had any problems. Every Maxtor that I have owned has failed. So Samsung drives are more reliable then Maxtor drives, as far as I am concerned.

Samsung = quiet
    Seagate = reliable
    WD = speed
    Maxtor = Fujitzu = crap
    I should have bought an ATI.

Comment

Yeah, that's what SilentPCReview has been saying for a while now as well, that the new Samsungs are quieter than current Seagates.

I think though, the old Cuda IV is still reigning champion.

Comment

Well you're SOL there.

Maxtor is... well... some people swear by them and others (like me) swear AT them.

Same with WD.

Seagate hasn't screwed me yet.

IBM (oops, sorry HITACHI) has great reliability unless you get a bad series (and how to tell that ahead of time is a real puzzler).

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Seagate's latest drives, Barracuda V and the 7200.7, aren't as quiet as B' IV (pun intended ). I have been using my 'Cuda IV for a year now and no problems.
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

The 'cuda V is said to be qieter than the IV. The 7200.2 is not, though.

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

after a while, they're evening out all of them reliability-wise...the ones that really suck in IDE format are the Fujitsu's. I'd stay far away from them for a good long while (not that they're easy to come by....).

As far as speed is concerned, the hat is gone to Hitachi right now, with the 2K50 8MB series. WD being a close second (except considering the Raptor 74GB at 10K rpm...), followed by Maxtor. Seagates are OK, quite silent but slow by today's standards. Ditto Samsung, although I've heard their newest drives are quite fast -but I haven't checked.

If speed and size are important, I'd go for the WD 200GB 8MB, it's just dropped in price to about 135 EUR w/o VAT. Otherwise, the Hitachi 2K50 160GB 8MB at about 100 EUR w/o VAT.

Anyway, they're both a bargain...

Comment

Working...
              X