Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What power devices do we need to take our laptop to China?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What power devices do we need to take our laptop to China?

We will be going to China SOON™.

We want to take Becky's Dell 600m, but I am having trouble figuring out what we need in the way of power conversion devices.
    I know we need to go from 220v to our laptop's 110v, but the one converter we have states that it is only for shavers and such, not "electronic devices" such as computers.
    Is all of China the same?
    We will be mostly in the south-east part of China.
    Thanks,
    Chuck
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Might need a new power brick with the right plug end on it. Ever think about posting on Dell's support boards?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

How about a european version of your Laptop's external PSU? There are also universal laptop PSUs AFAIK, and you could get a 230V one, or a 115/230 one. Also, there are bigger converters, though not cheap. Luckily, your laptop won't draw too much current. I would not use the one you already have without knowing more about it.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

@ GT98: I posted there too.
        I think the brick is OK because it is rated 90-135 VAC / 164-265 VAC.
        So I suppose it will work with just a plug adapter.
        But I figured MURCers were a well traveled lot & might have some advice about surge supressors & what not that we might need for China in particular.
        For example: none of the adapter plugs that came in our kit have a ground prong.
        So I wonder if we need another one that does.
        chuck
        Last edited by cjolley; 2 January 2004, 10:42.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
          @ GT98: I posted there too.
          I think the brick is OK because it is rated 90-135 VAC / 164-265 VAC.
          So I suppose it will work with just a plug adapter.
          But I figured MURCers were a well traveled lot & might have some advice about surge supressors & what not that we might need for China in particular.
          For example: none of the adapter plugs that came in our kit have a ground prong.
          So I wonder if we need another one that does.
          chuck
          weird, all adaptor I've seen have been with ground prongs

shoulden't be neccesary anyway since comparativly few laptops use grounded powercables
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
            weird, all adaptor I've seen have been with ground prongs

shoulden't be neccesary anyway since comparativly few laptops use grounded powercables
            Hmmm....
            The chord for the laptops brick does have a grounding prong for a US plug.
            The power convertor we got does not.
            I'll look at it closer when I get home from work.
            chuck
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Your power brick should be OK, you shouldn't need a converter, but I don't know how mains quality is in china and if it may fry your psu. I don't think it is that bad though. You might ask a tourist information or something, maybe where you bought your tickets.

AZ
              Last edited by az; 2 January 2004, 10:59.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                ...maybe where you bought your tickets.
                What tickets?
                I said we were going SOON™.
                Not "soon".
                chuck
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Oh. Then buy your tickets where they can answer your questions

AZ

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                    What tickets?
                    I said we were going SOON™.
                    Not "soon".
                    chuck
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

just a suitable socket converter should be all that's required.
                      made sure to keep your battery in-situ at all times to act as a sort of UPS.

Comment

AFAIK as long as you use a conventional transformer no worries (or just a plain socket adapter if your PSU block can support the right voltage range as suggested). It's just "solid state voltage converters" that are not electronics-safe.
                        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                        X