Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Word hole embarrasses Microsoft: When is a security feature not a security feature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word hole embarrasses Microsoft: When is a security feature not a security feature?

A hole in Microsoft’s ubiquitous word processing software, Word, makes its much-used security feature superfluous.

The “Protect Document” option in Tools is used when you want to prevent people from making unauthorised changes to specific areas of your document.

The feature allows you to attach a password to a file and so restrict the alteration of data on the page. Large numbers of companies use it to send customers quotes and invoices.

However, CIO of Infineon security subsidiary Guardeonic Solutions, Thorsten Delbrouck, has discovered that with a simple bit of manipulation, the document can be opened up, altered, and given a new password - or the original password so no-one would doubt its authenticity. The method is extremely easy and now posted on the Web.

Microsoft’s response to this potential legal nightmare has been classic Redmond. Informed in November and given until last week to respond, it will not be issuing a fix (presumably because such a fix is impossible).

Computerworld covers a range of technology topics, with a focus on these core areas of IT: generative AI, Windows, mobile, Apple/enterprise, office suites, productivity software, and collaboration software, as well as relevant information about companies such as Microsoft, Apple, and Google.

Haha!
    it's not a bug, it's a feature:
    It "is not intended as a full-proof protection for tampering or spoofing.” Instead it “is a functionality to prevent accidental changes of a document.”
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

@gt40's quote: I thought that's what the "Do you want to save changes?" dialog box was for...

At least they're not doing a Sklyarov on this guy.
      Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

actually I'm more surprised at people that think word document protection is safe/secure, than at this discovery

Comment

Comment

couple that with the fact that Word fills up docs with whatever was on your disk to match a certain cluster size...

Comment

Working...
            X