Machine Upgrade, Mark2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine Upgrade, Mark2

So, after a couple initial starts and stops, I've got my new machine up and running.

Things I discovered in the process:

1. The person who is inheriting my MSI745 and AthlonXP1800+ needed a new fan, since the Volcano9 is GIGANTIC, and the stock fan is anemic, and the other one I had lying around was LOUDER THAN OZZFEST 2002! So I go to Micro Center, and they have this fan that says "designed by Thermaltake". I figure... "ok". So I look at the price. $10! Then I look at the fan - it's like a Volcano9, only a little smaller and more generic-looking. And it ROCKS. The supposed noise output is 21dB, but I can't hear it at all with the case on. Not at all. Like "hey is this even running? It might be broken" quiet. I'm buying several more just to have around!

2. The "free" stick of DDR400 that I got is, in fact, flaky at 400. It runs fine at 266 or 333 though. I guess beggars can't be choosers, and I'll get another 512MB of DDR400 when I have a spare $100 to blow.

3. My Western Digital 120GB has gotten LOUD. I don't know if it was always this loud and it was just drowned out by the Volcano 9, or what. But it's LOUD and WHINY. It also performs sporadically, so I might have to get WD to replace it. In the meantime, I'm too over-budget to buy another Seagate at the moment. But next $100 I have goes to that, methinks.

4. My Radeon 8500 has some life in it yet. The huge boost in processor speed has compensated quite well for the lack of a DX9 card.

- Gurm

P.S. The way cool fan? It's by TR2. I think they're just a ThermalTake one-off.

The one I have is an M1, it has GAY Red/Green/Blue LED's. There are also M3 and M5 though, which do not. The M3 is slightly beefier (same noise though) and the M5 is for big P4's.
    Last edited by Gurm; 22 January 2004, 09:53.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

So what's the new kit you've gone for?
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton, 333Mhz)
      1GB DDR400 (well, 1GB DDR 333 right now, see above)
      120GB Seagate Barracuda V (ATA133)
      120GB WD SE 8MB (ATA133)
      Radeon 8500 64MB (yeah getting old)
      Audigy Platinum eX (also getting old, but it's just sound. *shrug*)
      Lite-On 166S DVD-ROM
      Lite-On 411S DVD+/-RW (soon to be 811s via softmod)

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

I got the TR2-M2 a while back, cause my stock fan was starting to make noise.
        Great HS/Fan. Adjustable speed, quiet, and cools much better than the stock HSF.
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Try setting the Barton to 400MHz FSB... most 2500+ CPUs I have seen ( with the exception of the one my brother got for christmas) ran just fine at 3200+, with stock cooling.. it may be worth a shot
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I have now installed 5 of Zalmans CNPS7000-A-Cu.

Compared to everything else I have tried (oh yes. The volcano. It was listed as a "silent" cooler at the shop where I bought it....) it winds, hands down. (Heres the link: http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/prod...ps7000a-cu.htm).

Its HEAVY tho'. Not meant for travel - although its "clamp" system is the best I have seen (its not clamps, its two aluminum profiles thats attached by screws) - I wouldnt want to travel with it.

Good luck getting it to purr, Gurm!!

~~DukeP~~

Comment

erm Gurm, where is the link to the softmod?
              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Which reminds me DukeP, I need to remove my CNPS6000Cu before I fly back home on Sunday.Yay, back to sunny warm Jamaica after 20 months of English weather woohoo!!
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                  Lite-On 411S DVD+/-RW (soon to be 811s via softmod)
                  I'm curious about this one - where do you find info about doing the mod?

I have to wonder if the laser module in the 411s is the same as in the 811s. It may be capable of producing the same output levels, but may not last as long at higher power.

- Steve

Comment

You might want to have a look at the in-depth discussion over at CD Freaks.

- Gurm

Comment

Re: Machine Upgrade, Mark2

Originally posted by Gurm

3. My Western Digital 120GB has gotten LOUD. I don't know if it was always this loud and it was just drowned out by the Volcano 9, or what. But it's LOUD and WHINY. It also performs sporadically, so I might have to get WD to replace it.
                      Ugh, I hope it doesn't become an established pattern, my Raptor also got loud over time. I'll have to keep an ear on my brother's new JB.
                      Maybe it's up for Seagate next time, only wish they had longer warranties

Comment

Working...
                      X