Logitech MX700 users.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logitech MX700 users.....

Can you post a rough idea of how long your batteries last?

I got my MX700 for Christmas in 2002 and it's been fantastic as a mouse. In October the batteries started to become rubbish - they'd take 10 hours to charge and be discharged in a couple of hours.

I bought myself some 2300 mAh batteries to replace the 1600 ones that came in the mouse originally. I'm sure that despite charging them fully in the mouse before I started using them their life is atrocious (a couple of days from charged to discharged with me using the mouse less than 6 hours in that time and it just sitting there the rest of the time) compared to how the 1600s were when they were new.

I'm wondering if the charger base may have become damaged and is no longer charging the batteries to capacity.

Just wondering what kind of life everyone else is seeing with this mouse.

Cheers,

Uberlad
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

New rechargeables need 3 to 5 charge/discharge cycles to reach full capacity, may that be it?

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Ah, maybe they'll get better with age if I let them almost drain before recharging.

Uberlad

Comment

This is not necessary with NiMNs, and in fact not very good for the batteries. I don't know though if your mouse CAN drain them all the way (like, for instance, a flashlight). But you might try this for a while (not for the whoe life of the batteries though). Also bear in mind that rechargeables discharge over time even when not in use. So it might well be that after six weeks your batteries are almost empty just because of self-discharge (that is, if you don't charge them in the meantime).

AZ

Comment

I've had mine sitting out for two days and it still worked. Its never run out on me so I have no idea how long it takes to charge. I usually stick it in the base at night when I turn off the computer, not every time I'm not using it. I bought mine March 2003.
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I have had mine sat on my desk for a week with no problems... If i use the mouse heavily, then i just need to remember to return it to the cradle when i leave the computer, otherwise the red light appears... best mouse i've ever bought!
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

It is a fantastic mouse isn't it? I really can only use it for a couple of evenings without putting it back on the cradle though. I might try charging the batteries to full on an external charger and see if I have the same problem.

Uberlad

Comment

Off Topic:
                Anyone else remember the book "Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH"?
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I've had my MX700 for over 6 months now. On average I would say that under normal use the battery lasts at LEAST 5-7 days before I put it back in the charger. Maybe under heavy use it will last as little as 3-4 days. That is my experience. BTW, best mouse ever...
                  Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                  MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                  Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                  Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                    Off Topic:
                    Yep, I loved that book.
                    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Back on topic (not sure I read the book, or it's been a very long time since I did) - I think the charger is a little screwy. It thinks the batteries are charged and won't charge them any more. If I use the mouse, the red light come on almost immediately. Then I replace the mouse on the charger and the thing will charge for another few hours.

Of course it's over a year old so out of warrenty (even if I still have the box)

<sigh> I suppose I'd better by a battery charger and just swap sets of batteries charged in there into the mouse. Kinda defeats the point though.

Uberlad

Comment

Not that I say that you should do this, but if you bought another at a store with a good return policy and returned your old one.. would anyone know?
                        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

It's out of warranty after one year? Isn't EU legislation saying you have to get 2 years manufacturer warranty? I know it's that way in germany because of some EU stuff. But you brits chose to be the 51st state of america anyway, so I guess this doesn't apply to you

AZ

Comment

Ok, maybe it isn't out of warranty. I'd have to find the packaging, which means braving loft insulation to dig through the tons of crap in the roof.

I shall try putting freshly fully charged betteries in and see how it likes them. If not then I might consider the dodgy swap, PC World would be an ideal candidate for such a victimless crime 8-)

Uberlad

Comment

Off Topic:
                              Originally posted by GNEP
                              Off Topic:
                              Never read the book, how'd it compare to the movie?
                              Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 25 January 2004, 18:13.

Comment

Working...
                              X