IBM Deathstar: they KNEW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM Deathstar: they KNEW!

he report is based on IBM e-mails and documents made available recently by a California court in connection with the class-action suit. The Maximum PC folks have dug up some sensational info in these documents, including internal IBM discussions revealing failure rates 10 times as high as competing products from other manufacturers, an apparent determination to address the problem through marketing denials rather than manufacturing changes, and a decision to sell a batch of faulty drives into distribution (and thus to consumers) after its rejection by a larger customer due to high failure rates.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

I read that yesterday and thought...I hope my two 40GB IBM drives don't die on me :/ I have had these two for almost two years now(crosses fingers)
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Disgusting. I wonder if Fujitsu did the same sort of thing.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

had 2 IBM's die on me, but that was not IBM's fault, no hdd survives the assault of a 10 year old

Still got 4 other ibm gxp's still running
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I had 6 drives from the 60GXP series and all died out on me. I had them replaced and the new ones dies as well. I eventually got them replaced with others brands. I didn't have very important info on them except on the first one that crashed . I didn't give up on IBM drives though, just those from the 2 series.
          nospam

Comment

3 out of my four IBM Deathstars are dead now. The third died just a few weeks ago and I'm sure the fourth will follow sooner or later...
            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
            My System
            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
            German ATI-forum

Comment

firmware update

For those of you that still have a 60GXP hard drive, there is a firmware update from IBM that you could try. I have no ideea about it's usefulness because I no longer have drives from that series.
              There is a utility at the following address that tells you if there is a firmware update available for you model and where you can get it:

You can use that utility even if you don't have a 60GXP drive since it does not modify anything and it checks for update for some other series as well. However, if you find that there is an update available I encourage you to backup all your data before installing it (if you have a 60 or 75GXP you should backup often anyway).
              nospam

Comment

Four deathstars all died eventually. My own advise is bin them or give them to someone you really hate.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

LOL@ the PIT

anyways, i dun see any reason why one should get IBM HDDs....

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
                    LOL@ the PIT

anyways, i dun see any reason why one should get IBM HDDs....
                    All my drives are still IBMs
                    nospam

Comment

and a decision to sell a batch of faulty drives into distribution (and thus to consumers)
                      Sounds like this other company I know, IBM should have just said it was "normal behavior".

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
                        Sounds like this other company I know, IBM should have just said it was "normal behavior".
                        Yeah, they could even change the web page from "total data integrity" to "total data integrity +/- 10%"
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                          Yeah, they could even change the web page from "total data integrity" to "total data integrity +/- 10%"
                          ROFLMAO...
                          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                          My System
                          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                          German ATI-forum

Comment

Only one 45GB IBM here (made in Thailand) and it's been going strong for more than three years now.

Comment

Still got 2x60gxp's, one has already been replaced. I no longer use them as a striped set as I just don't trust them.

But I would have thought IBM selling their HDD divison was a dead give away that something stunk

Comment

Working...
                              X