Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good CD to MP3 ripping software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UtwigMU

Hard drives are cheap, so the filesize is no longer the issue.
    Filesize IS an issue. First of all, portable devices have limited file size. Second, my CDs, ripped to MP3, are 30+GB, That would be over 200GB uncompressed. Yet another hard drive there.

Also, compressed audio means that I can move around my network easily. I have no problems playing MP3s over my home 100Mbit network. Playing uncompressed audio is maybe possible, but it would totally saturate my network, which I do like to use for other things.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I agree, My 20GB audio player will only allow me to have 400 songs total, probably less if I just used an uncompressed file. For just slightly less quality, I can have 4000 songs.
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by PAugustin
        Well it usually goes very fast and doesn't check for errors. Besides it only uses basic settings that suits all drivers but are not opimal.
        EAC can be configured with many settings that will allow you to make a perfect copy of a CD. It checks for errors and if ther is a doubt, it will read the needed sectors several times to get it right. You also have different exctraction methodes, secure, burst... That wil suits different needs.
        It is also possible to fine tune it with settings like offset correction and so...
        I didn't realize there was such a vast amount of settings for ripping audio. Sounds like more work than I care to look at. I'll still check out EAC though and see whats up.

dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I meant computer drive sizes.

You rip to apes for computer use, when you need to use portable player, you still can convert lossles apes to mp3s and keep apes stored on computer, so that you can still burn a CD from lossless files.

Comment

For that much work, I'll just keep the CDs in the carrying case.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
              I didn't realize there was such a vast amount of settings for ripping audio. Sounds like more work than I care to look at. I'll still check out EAC though and see whats up.

dave
              Yes there are many things to look at if you want the best rip possible. But most of those things won't be useful if you just want to fill your mp3 player. It's nice if you need to make a perfect quality backup of an album or if you need to save a scratched CD. EAC has saved a couple of badly scratched CD that wouldn't play well in any CD player.

So if it's just to make a VBR mp3/Ogg encoding to listen music on the go don't spend time configuring a soft like EAC. You can use it as it doesn't need fine tunig to work and will take any external encoder you want.
              System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                Filesize IS an issue. First of all, portable devices have limited file size. Second, my CDs, ripped to MP3, are 30+GB, That would be over 200GB uncompressed. Yet another hard drive there.

Also, compressed audio means that I can move around my network easily. I have no problems playing MP3s over my home 100Mbit network. Playing uncompressed audio is maybe possible, but it would totally saturate my network, which I do like to use for other things.
                Uncompressed WAV files have a bitrate of 1411 Kbps. That's 1.411 Mbps. That works out to 1.4% of your network bandwidth. Hardly saturated. That would even play pretty well over 802.11b wireless, which has a real world throughput of about 7-9 Mbps.
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                  Uncompressed WAV files have a bitrate of 1411 Kbps. That's 1.411 Mbps. That works out to 1.4% of your network bandwidth. Hardly saturated. That would even play pretty well over 802.11b wireless, which has a real world throughput of about 7-9 Mbps.
                  You're right. I was off base. I was thinking about 10MB/minute, and for some reason thought /second.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                    What is a good CD to MP3 ripping software?
                    Ahead Nero

I'm using Nero for CD burning and it's also very
                    good for extracting Audio CD's to mp3, wav, ogg, mp4,....

Comment

Working...
                    X