No announcement yet.

best mobile OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

palm os. linux is too immature. microsoft... i already hate them, why would i want them on my PDA?... i heard they crash frequently

Comment

Kurt: I love the SE P900!
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
        palm os. linux is too immature.
        Immature in what way? Which of those two OSes do you think was running on embedded systems first?
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

My brother just got a Blackberry 7280, and it's pretty sweet. Proprietary OS, but it does all the standard PIM stuff with sync, and runs Java apps. Sync and charge is done over the included USB cable. Very high build quality and an awesome screen. Very high contrast. I'm thinking of getting the 6280, which supports everything the 7280 does, just without colour.

It even uses standard usb connectors, so you can replace the sync/charger cable without spending $80 for a special one from the manufacturer. That's a big plus in my book.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
            microsoft... i already hate them, why would i want them on my PDA?... i heard they crash frequently
            Yes, they do. As stated above I do own the O2 PDA/Smartphone thing - and you can tell by the first look that it's a WinCE based thing. It DOES crash more often than you would expect with a hardware that specific, you really do need the reset-button (while I still don't even know if my Palm IIIc even has a reset button as I've never needed it in the three years I have it)....

Oh yes, and it gets SLOOOW (up to the point that a single button click/press needs several seconds to complete ) when memory get low, while on the PALM just the memory rans out, but there's actually no difference in performance until the last byte is used....
            Last edited by Indiana; 16 March 2004, 16:52.
            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
            My System
            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
            German ATI-forum

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
              Immature in what way? Which of those two OSes do you think was running on embedded systems first?
              Embedded, yes... But portable touchscreen thingies, no... IMO, the main issue will be currently available software: I have no doubt at this time you'll be able to run SSH clients, browser, etc; but the userinterfaces will not be adopted to the small format. It will come, but I feel it needs a little more time..

Indiana: Is there a difference between Windows SE and SmartPhone (they seem to be 2 different products) ? Or is one just a customized version of the other ? I do know that the performance of both Symbian Epoc and Palm OS doesn't depend on the amount of free memory. I didn't know it was such a big issue on Microsoft...

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ

Indiana: Is there a difference between Windows SE and SmartPhone (they seem to be 2 different products) ?
                Hmmm, good question. I didn't really care about that, I think the thing is called "Windows CE 2003 PhoneEdition" or something like that

(I don't want to sound too negative about the thing, it's actually quite nice. I'd still prefer a PalmOS based device, preferably a SonyClié - but there is no Clié with integrated phone... )
                But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                My System
                2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                German ATI-forum

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                  Embedded, yes... But portable touchscreen thingies, no... IMO, the main issue will be currently available software: I have no doubt at this time you'll be able to run SSH clients, browser, etc; but the userinterfaces will not be adopted to the small format. It will come, but I feel it needs a little more time..
                  But that's not true. There've been lots. And even right now there's the nice Zaurus.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Really? Hmm, then I must have missed them... (then again, the Zaurus doesn't seem to be available here)

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

Anybody know if there are announcements regarding phones running PalmOS 6 Cobalt ?

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

Working...
                      X