No announcement yet.

PuRam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Althought it sure is giong to cost ALOT it looks promising to me.
    And IMO 2010 computers are going to be somehow like that. Future generations are going to laugh at us... "wow they actually used hard drives??"

Anyway how come everyone has a posts counter of -101? did I miss something while I was away from MURC's forum?
    Let those who want to be simple, be simple.

Comment

MMM, bubble memory drives. :drools:

Sasq is playing a joke on us with the -101.

Comment

me? play a joke? never....
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Disk-on-chip is nothing new anyway.. we have embedded medical systems we sell at work that use those with an embeded OS. I sense a lot of smoke and mirrors with these guys.

Comment

Especially when they overclock a 3.2 to 3.8, I see what you guys are getting at now. Besides, I'm designing my own, and it won't cost a quarter of that "Mach 3.8". However the $18000 monitor is tempting...lol
            2.4 GHz P4 :: 1024 MB RAM
            533 MHz FSB :: 233 MHz DDR
            64 MB Radeon Mobility
            w/128 MB Video Buffer
            40 GB HD & 120 GB External HD
            DVD/CDRW :: JBL Creature 2 Speakers

Comment

Diskless workstation?, what about the various linux live CD's, and if you say its not diskless then you can also find distro's that work from flash drives.

There is even a "lite" version of windows 95 that' will fit on a flash drive.

PU as in stinks I think.

Heh, my first Atari was a "diskless workstation"

Comment

I'm waiting for MRAM drives Non-volitile, more memory per square cm that SDRAM, cheaper to make and almost as fast as static RAM Me can't wait to have a 20 GB MRAM drive.

And they're not smoke and mirrors. They take not known technologies and combine them with not so well know technolgies and make a very marketable, albeit very expensive, package.

Jammrock
                Last edited by Jammrock; 17 March 2004, 20:53.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

"0% average CPU usage" means "We did a copy once, and let the computer sit idle for a week. That averages to 0%, rounded down." And even still, the drive type shouldn't change CPU usage much, that should be the controller's job.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well, I just checked Cenatek's site:
                    Reliable and quality OEM and custom server memory upgrades and memory modules. Dell Server Memory, HP Server Memory, IBM Server Memory, Sun Server Memory, Oracle Server Memory and others.

They have the rocketdrive, which is an SDRAM based SSD drive; and apparently, they also link to Lieberman. So, does this mean the PU drive is actually a Cenatek Rocket drive ?

Wombat: That is a way of getting great averages...

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                      "0% average CPU usage" means "We did a copy once, and let the computer sit idle for a week. That averages to 0%, rounded down." And even still, the drive type shouldn't change CPU usage much, that should be the controller's job.
                      Haha, you're like so retro
                      I printed my data and then carved it into my HDD using hammer and a chisel. Now that's technology !
                      "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                        Well, I just checked Cenatek's site:
                        Reliable and quality OEM and custom server memory upgrades and memory modules. Dell Server Memory, HP Server Memory, IBM Server Memory, Sun Server Memory, Oracle Server Memory and others.

They have the rocketdrive, which is an SDRAM based SSD drive; and apparently, they also link to Lieberman. So, does this mean the PU drive is actually a Cenatek Rocket drive ?

Wombat: That is a way of getting great averages...

Jörg
                        if it used SDRAM it wouldn't be non-volatile, would it?

Comment

Yep, but Cenatek has a link to Lieberman, and it results in the page where the pu-ram is described...

Jörg
                          pixar
                          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
                            if it used SDRAM it wouldn't be non-volatile, would it?
                            It is, somewhat. It powers itself off of the ATX connector somehow I think. But I know it has a battery on it. You can even move these things from one PCI slot to another without losing the data.

At any rate, you can turn the computer off, and turn it on later with the drive still holding the same information.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Probably a Lithium Ion rechargable battery pack to keep the SRAM in state. With an internal copy that would definately give you 8.5 GB/s transfer. As for 0% CPU usage ... can't say, never used a solid state HDD.

Still waiting for MRAM drives
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I Read the maximum PC review on the machine your talking about... it didn't come with everything advertised (some problem with the PuRam drive...) but apparently they were impressed with what they got but also mentioned that it was fairly high priced for something that someone could put together with enough time and inclination (and cash) for less.

I'll see if I have the magazine at home still and if I do I'll copy the article and you guys can read it for yourselves
                                AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                                AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                                Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                                Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Working...
                                X