NV40 picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe the connector is for SLI

Nah, to me the white connector kinda looks like the AUX sound connector that I have on my Radeon AIW. Just don't know what one would do on the card... Anyway, since (I'm assuming) it's a pre-production card it might have all kinds of odd things like another fan connector, right? I think it has 3 pins, maybe it's for a fan with RPM monitoring?
    Last edited by Tempest; 22 March 2004, 14:47.

Comment

They need to use chips with SOI or Si-28 to save power. Smaller processes should help, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
        Errm, considering the Parhelias performance and other "features" (read: bugs) I don't think so.
        I think he was being sarcastic
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
          They need to use chips with SOI or Si-28 to save power. Smaller processes should help, too.

http://www.isonics.com/
          i think that there is a point where size and efficency cease to matter, and just how many transistors and how much work it does is simply overwhelming :P
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

SOI's benefits have an effective band, and we're getting down to process sizes where that benefit goes away. At least, with the SOI techs that I know of.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

update. latest source says that NV40 is a 8x2, but runs like a 16x1... it does some funky stuff with its vertex shaders and provide more fillrate somehow. (I haven't have time to look into it)

apparently, NV40 will be FAST (rumors say faster than R420 by 5-15%)

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
                update. latest source says that NV40 is a 8x2, but runs like a 16x1... it does some funky stuff with its vertex shaders and provide more fillrate somehow. (I haven't have time to look into it)

apparently, NV40 will be FAST (rumors say faster than R420 by 5-15%)
                Yes, and supposedly it can only do point sample filtering for the extra 8 pipes, no bilinear, trilinear, or aniso. Which means mayor performance hit when you enable aniso (because you'll go back to 8*2).
                Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

The NV40 is expected to need ~100W itself. Ati does not do any better.

Cheers, Hannes

Comment

Working...
                  X