No announcement yet.

What Router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check what version your have, Linksys has got various revisions of their products. they keep the same generic name but add a V2, V3, etc. Of course not all firmwares are compatible with all revisions...

Comment

I just got Netgear's WGR614 Wi-Fi Router this past Thursday to replace my BEFSR41v2 and WAP54G setup I was using before. I'm very happy with it so far
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I've used 3Com, netgear and linksys in both home and office. I've had the best experiance with the linksys routers. Linsys now makes a really cheep router under the name "Network Everywhere", which I am using here in the office right now (midnight replacement). It is good for most stuff just not dynamic dns stuff as it is only setup to connect to the system that linksys owns.

Jeff
        -We stop learning when We die, and some
        people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
        Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
        - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
        - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
          I just got Netgear's WGR614 Wi-Fi Router this past Thursday to replace my BEFSR41v2 and WAP54G setup I was using before. I'm very happy with it so far
          I picked up one of these a couple of weeks ago, also quite satisfied with it so far.

Comment

Originally posted by spadnos
            I've got the BEFSR41 as well, connected to an ADSL modem.

It works great - most of the time.
            (note that I've had this for years, so I probably have a VERY outdated hardware design - I know of at least two speed upgrades since mine was made). Lately, the router just stops routing packets. I have to go over and hit the reset button to get data to start moving again. This is pretty easy, and only takes a couple of seconds, unless the router is in a closet somewhere.

It accepts any client (there are no drivers) - I have connected Windows 98, Win2k, many Linuxes, a printer, and an SGI workstation, and all have worked flawlessly.

If you think you may want to have more machines later (like a network printer, etc), then the BEFSR81 isn't much more expensive ($80) and has 8 ports.

- Steve

It's not the outdated design, it is a problem with the latest firmware, there is a bug in it.

The previous firmware 1.40 is much better, 1.45 sucks.
            I have the same problem too and will change the router to an 802.11G version.

Cheers,
            Elie

Comment

Linksys hasn't been doing too well with their Wi-Fi. I'd go with Netgear.

Do the research yourself, the Linksys Wi-Fi routers just don't have the range of their competitors.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Another vote for BEFSR41

Been using it for a few years now with no problems so far. I just upgraded the firmware to the latest version to get vpn up and running. Has anyone tried it with the particular model?

Comment

Yes, the latest firmware supports multiple VPN clients.

Comment

I'd recommend the "Netgear CABLE/DSL safe Gateway" router model RP614. The reason, because I have one .. and well I have had no problems so far and the build quality is good. I'd recommend any netgear routers as the build quality and support is great.

Comment

I just noticed that the router has halfed in price since I bought it last year. So it is definately a bargain !

omg 600 posts

Comment

Working...
                      X