No announcement yet.

DIY Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What ever you get, you'll have to design the volume of the box around the woofers, and decide if you want it ported or sealed - which may depend on the particular speakers you choose.
    The specs for the particular woofers would be required, as for the others in order to design a proper crossover.
    After that it's just some simple soldering and wood-working.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by skinrock
      I didn't know they used DVC's for home systems.
      DVC's Sub's are quite common in HT setups and computer speaker systems...easiest way to sum the bass from a stereo signal so you only need a dual channel amp instead of three.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

This is my idea.

A piece of software like this could probably make proper use of your 6.1 / 7.1 sound card.

say you have a 4 or six channel Home cinema amp which has Analog inputs, for seperate front and rear speakers.

Run the speaker wire straight from the tweeter into the rear channels of the home cinema amp. (normally they have less power). On the software set up a High pass filter (using the sound card to do the processing) and set it to output on one stereo channel

Then connect the woofers to the front channels directly, then set up a Low pass filter on the soundcard and set it to output on the other stereo output.

also check this link about active crossovers.

I just thought this would be a good way to easily tweak the sound after building the speaker. and so the crossover frequency could be moved around etc. To learn what sounds best for you and room.
        Last edited by Fluff; 18 May 2004, 15:21.

Comment

Unless you have a basic 2-way speaker setup you'll need more than 4 amps to do the job correctly.

The best and most important reason for going with a sub/sat setup is removing the doppler shift bass induces into the mids muddying them badly. Another reason for a sub/sat setup is proper placement is easier... rarely does bass (especially sub bass) reproduce best in the same location as the main speaker positiion due to standing waves.

If going to an electronic crossover I'd suggest something like a Sony XEC-1000 triamp auto crossover... only requires 12v to run, very good S/N ratio, designed to induce minimal (transient) phase shift (Linkwitz Riley filter) and are relatively cheap... here's one on ebay atm... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Okay update time. A buddy of mine is giving me his cheap, not bad, not great speakers. So I'll be putting the money now into getting an iRiver SlimX 550 and Sennheiser PX-200 headphones. Won't get the apartment thumping, but my head will!
            Last edited by TnT; 19 May 2004, 21:16.
            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Try the cans out before you buy them.

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Finally got the speakers I was after £600 new but got em for £349 s/h. Dynaudio Audience 52's Sales man caught me at a weak moment and I got a Nad C542 Cd-player Reduced from £329 to £249 as it was a dem unit. To go with my current Nad c350 Amp, which was £349 New (paid £225), but recently seen for £120.

It sounds much better than what I had before, no computer bits this year tho, as a sacrifice, and hope it lasts a bit longer

If you are still interested in making own speakers, PM me as i know someone who can get car speakers / crossovers etc at less than trade. And i'll find out a price.

Comment

Working...
                X