No announcement yet.

My Project -56k unfriendly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This next piece is going to be a cover plate for my 5.25" drives. I'll have several of these made. Unfortunately, they cut the wrong dimensions so i have to go back and get it redone. I don't want to get a bunch made until I know the first one comes out exactly what I want.
    Attached Files
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Here is the bevel plate again from the side so you can see the cut on it.
      Attached Files
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

You can't tell too much from this pic, but the black is the color of the laminate. Most of my desk will be black with real wood and wood trim.
        Attached Files

Comment

The plastic piece on the right is a 5.25" bracket. I need many of these too. Unfortunately, it is expensive, so I may just make my brackets out of wood. Also, they cut this piece the wrong size too
          Attached Files

Comment

Well, I have more pics, but they are more boring than the ones I've posted so I'll spare you all. I think I have spent $500 in tools And a couple hundred on everything else. I've never done laminate before, any hints anyone wants to give me?

edit: can one of the mods change the title with a 56k warning, please?

Comment

w00t

WOW!!! amazing! Can't wait to see the final product

Comment

Dave hope you realise that we're expecting daily updates til it's finished
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Looking fantastic Dave - keep on building and keep on posting
                  DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

nice one Dave

Ideally you need a roller when sticking the laminate down. Once you have gently laid the glued laminate in place (on a flat surface of course) use the roller starting from the centre rolling to the edge.

You can get special edging planes for triming the laminate to size - they do a very neat job. I used a normal block-plane for trimming the edging strips on the kitchen worktops I installed a couple of weeks ago. The top edges were flush so I was only trimming the bottom edges and it didn't matter if I scuffed the underside a little.
                    FT.

Comment

I admire you guys with talent. I'm a tinkerer and have to do some creative thinking to fix things around the house. But I can never build something like that from scratch. Can't wait for more pictures ( maybe I can learn something )

Comment

Nice.

too bad you live on the other side of the continent.
                        I would'nt mind donating some CNC machine time while I'm not so busy.
                        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

@ Greebe and GNEP: I may not have time to work on the project every day. Actually, I know I won't. I'll try to update as much as possible.

@ Fat Tone: Thanks, all of your info goes along with all of the other info I've received. I have a router with a laminate bit. I also have the laminate glue, roller, but I forgot the brush to apply the glue.

@ RhinoZ: I'll tell you, I'm not talented. I struggle everyday to visualize this project. I've never been good at seeing things that aren't done yet. I just keep talking to people, asking questions, getting opinions, re-trying, etc...

@ gt40: I would kill to have a CNC machine available to me. Thanks anyway I was talking to my buddy last night and he was asking me why I don't use aluminim on the brackets. My answer was that I have never worked with aluminum on that level. He told me to send him the specs and he would make the brackets for me. Something new for me to learn
                          Last edited by Helevitia; 19 June 2004, 09:08.

Comment

Try a foam brush if you can get one. I haven't used them myself but thats what I've seen the pro's using

A router with the right bit will be great. I didn 't have that particular bit.
                            FT.

Comment

Great craftmanship! I don't like working with woods due to bad experience (splinters).
                              What I Did For Love
                              Cerritos College Cal Poly Pomona San Luis Obispo Kwak KCCC

Comment

Originally posted by iKwak
                                Great craftmanship! I don't like working with woods due to bad experience (splinters).
                                Perhaps you should give Bob a call, his wood never splinters
                                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X