Wireless - the minimal way....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless - the minimal way....

What do I need to connect two computers via wireless. I have only ever used ethernet before:

2 nics and a crossover
    2 nics and a hub and patch cables
    2+nics a hub and loads of cables and a switch/router

for a wireless network do i need more than

one laptop with a 10/100 wired adaptor and a lanexpress 802.11 apadtor
    pc with usb wireless network adaptor

or do i need an wireless access point - if so why??

in this thread http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php...highlight=wifi jamrock seems to say you can but the pc has a cable modem which I need to share and the laptop will swap between that pc and another which is on a network with a shared adsl modem..... what do you guys reckon?
    hmmmmm

wireless AP
    2 wireless nics

That's what you need.

The wireless AP can be a Linksys router/cable modem with built in wireless for example.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

btw, I should say that you don't need 2 wireless nics if one of the computers is connected via a cable.
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I see Jammrock talk about adhoc mode. I have personally never set it up, so I can't help you there.

Thinking about it though, why would you want wireless without access to the internet? By doing what Jammrock suggests, you are limiting your options.

What do you want to accomplish?

Comment

Its not for me you see; he has a pc connected to cable and just wants to connect his laptop which has wireless built in (centrino) to connect to it. He bought a usb wirless adaptor and asked me if i could get it working...... hmmmm. I said if I couldnt to just get a long cable

So i gather from past posts and hunting about adhoc mode would work (seems to be a peer to peer type thing). When I tried at my place the belkin adaptor he bought just killed my normal network seeting and gave no signal so wasnt a good start. Also I gather adhoc rather than infrastructure has no wep - does anyone know if that is the case?
          hmmmmm

Comment

Working...
          X