No announcement yet.

Blasted XP, all files read-only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hrm my Winxp has the same thing with all the files saying 'read only' in a greyed out box... however it never caused any problems and I can edit everything just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by az
      Code:
      attrib -r *.* /D /S
      NOTE: This might not work for hidden files. Add -h to unhide them

AZ
      It will.

Attrib affect all files. The -h shouldn't hurt though.

Comment

if you have a folder and it contains files in it that are both readonly and writeable you get a greyed check. clicking on it go from clear to grey to checked which correspond to all writeable, leave as is, all read only..that is normal.

But greebes problem is he can't change the flag...

begin brainfart
        I have never seen that before, do you have some read only device/ partition mounted in sub directory?
        end of brainfart
        Last edited by Marshmallowman; 28 July 2004, 18:45.

Comment

Oh, you're using FAT32 ... that's why there's not Security tab. I've been using NTFS for so long I forget that people still use it

You could always convert the partition to NTFS. You'd have more control over the files...

You could always boot to "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" and type in the following command (assuming you're on C:\):

ATTRIB -r C:*.* /s

In theory this will remove the read-only flag on every single and folder on C:. If it gives you errors or doesn't work right you might want to try C:\*.*.

One last option, if Safe Mode with Command Prompt doesn't work, you can install the Recovery Console (http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;314058) and try it from there.

Those about all the options I can think of.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I had this once, Win XP Pro Set all files to read-only because it thought there was an error in the filesystem - but didn't do an automatic Scandisk run.

Manually forcing the scandisk run to happen at the next boot time fixed the problem for me.
            (This was with NTFS, however)
            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
            My System
            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
            German ATI-forum

Comment

If simple file sharing is on in the folder options you won't see the security tab. Also, I see the same odd glitch with the read-only checkmark on my system, although it only effects folders, not files.

I wonder if it's a bug, if you click on the mark it cycles not through 2 settings (checked and unchecked,) but through 3, checked, greyed-out and checked, and unchecked.

Comment

Ah, it's by design actually,

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

Comment

Oh, and one last thing, if you tried the little trick in the first post about applying the security settings to all files it may mess up the permissions of the Prefetch folder contents, causing it to not work properly (defrag program no longer knew which files were the "boot" files, i.e. those needing to to be moved to the front to boot up quicker.) Deleting the folder fixed it by causing XP to start a new one with fresh contents that had the proper permissions.

Comment

Working...
                  X