Originally posted by RC Agent
    Was there a solution to this??

Comment

Comment

ughh! Why did you have to bring up this horrible reminder.

The solution was to beat myself over the head with a hammer and stare at the sun with binoculars.
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Didn't mean to bring up bad memories. Sorry. The reason I asked is because someone I know has had this happen to them, and I recalled reading something similar about it here on this forum. So, I did a search and found the thread. Was hoping a solution was found that I could share to the person.
          RC Agent
          AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
          AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
          AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Comment

No worries. I should have put a after everything.
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

So? Basically tell this guy to start curling up in the fetal position??? That about sum up the situation??
              RC Agent
              AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
              AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
              AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Comment

He could try some strong booze too. It won't recover any data, but it might make him forget that he lost it in the first place.

Comment

Or stare at the sun with binoculars because either way, it will be less painful than losing the data.

Comment

I always resisted using encryption for my data because I'd probably forget the key.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                      Or stare at the sun with binoculars because either way, it will be less painful than losing the data.
                      So I guess it means you never got the keys from the formatted HDD back?

Comment

I use Windows Encryption and I have a backup on my keys on floppy disk stored away in our fire safe at work - not taking any chances.

I know this is an old thread bought back to life etc however even now we see similar posts being made on numerous forums.
                        It does amaze me how many people think you can simply get the encrpyted data back - they don't think about the whole point of encrypting your data in the first place.
                        It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
                        Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

I use http://www.truecrypt.org/ for more than a year now it never let me down sofar.

I went for the option to generate a huge encrypted file (128GB) and mount that as a virtual drive.

No re-install of OS, change of hard drives or whatsoever made my data un-decryptable, I only have to make sure I won't delete that file by accident or forget my pw, of course ...
                          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                          LG BH10LS38
                          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Originally posted by Paulr
                            I use Windows Encryption and I have a backup on my keys on floppy disk stored away in our fire safe at work - not taking any chances.
                            With all the floppy disks I've seen go bad I don't know if it is the best medium for such critical data...
                            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Agreed. Spend $10 and get a 256MB USB key, and put it on there multiple times. AND burn a CD, too.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Since this incident happened to me, I now own two 250GB external drives. One backs up the other. I also have them on the network so I can share the data with my family. I also have a third 250GB external drive that I use for whatever I feel like including ghosting my system to this drive once a week.

Kurt, yes that is correct.

Comment

Working...
                                X