Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera 7.60 preview 2

Paddy

This is a preview (prebeta) release, DO NOT install over your current Opera! (it should work, but you risk oddities and losing your e-mail)

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Some new things in this release:

A button that shows blocked pop-ups as well as closed pages (GREAT!).

A close button on the tabs (annoying, just use middle-click - also, they removed minimizing of tabs by clicking on them AND they removed tab minimize, maximize, restore buttons! Now tabs are as crippled as in Firefox.)

Remember that this is a preview build, where Opera Software traditionally try new UI stuff that gets refined until the final version. The 7.5 previews were horrible from a usability point of view, IIRC, 7.5 final was very usable, though. 7.0 previews were buggy, unstable, slow, bloated, 7.0 final was good enough to make me switch from 6.05, 7.20 finally added speed.

AZ

Comment

I've always got all my tabs 'maximized', and I think most people do. Hence I understand the minimize/maximize/restore buttons for tabs can be removed.

If you still want them, can't you just add them in the menu.ini again?

Comment

I don't think so. But since I have my menu bar disabled, I will just add them as buttons at the far right of my main button bar, right of the status field.

Anyway, Opera Software usually do not provide any other way to easily do certain things when they want to test a new way to do it, so that people have to use it and don't remove it before trying it out. In the finals, stuff like the "close" button can usually be disabled.

AZ

Comment

resistance is futile...you cannot win...join the dark side....release your soul.....http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

oh well give Opera another shot, shall we? *clicks to download..*

Comment

The dark side would be using IE like I do.

Comment

Re: Opera 7.60 preview 2

Originally posted by az
              Paddy

This is a preview (prebeta) release, DO NOT install over your current Opera! (it should work, but you risk oddities and losing your e-mail)

AZ
              Bah! I'll only post final builds!
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Let's have a race then Paddy - loser buys the winner a beer

Guchi: I'd wait for the final release, these previews have quite experimental user interface issues, with ordinary ways to do things disabled to force users to try out the new stuff. They also have stability and compatibility issues.

AZ

Comment

Originally posted by az
                  A close button on the tabs (annoying, just use middle-click - also, they removed minimizing of tabs by clicking on them AND they removed tab minimize, maximize, restore buttons! )
                  NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I never have my document windows maximised...

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

It is confirmed that these changes will not be permanent for the final - it's just to assure that testers try out the new way. This functionality can still be accessed via right-click menu or custom buttons.

Of course, the biggest new feature fro 7.60 p1 still applies: No more error message pop-ups! Also, javascript messages from background tabs don't pop into the foreground anymore, preventing spoof attacks and annoyances. They are still modal and block the whole browser window once they get focus, though.

AZ

Comment

Working...
                    X