Help with cleaning infested system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with cleaning infested system

I've installed for somebody winXP, and apparently few hours without protection (while installing SP2) was enough for worms etc. to infest this system. And somehow I have a feeling that, inspite the fact that AVG 7.0 free edition reports clean system, it's still badly infected.
    Symptoms: cdrom stopped being visible, www/perhaps internet acces (even under firefox) is non functioning in reality (but I am able to make it to work by killing (almost rundomly I'm afraid...) few processes (volume, wunit32, watch, wdfmgr, msnudp, devldr32, alg...
    ))
    What antivirus/cleaning software to use? Use other firewall than bundled with SP2? Answers to this two questions will be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like it will be better to just do another fresh install of XP but this time try slipstreaming sp2 into your copy of XP before you start. You can use Autostreamer from http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...&#entry2453585
    also if you don't have a third-party firewall please enable the one in XP before you try going on the net!

Comment

Unfortunatelly I am unable to do slipstreaming...cleaning is the only way (time is precious...)

Comment

Detect and fix viruses, worms, spyware, and other malicious threats for free.

for starters
        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Try Spybot Search & Destroy and adaware SE 1.05. Those are free but Giant Antispyware has some additional features but only gives yoy a 15 day trial. You can use that time to clean up your system though.

DJ

Comment

No spyware for sure (it had no way to get there - fresh install, windows update & trusted sites under firefox ONLY); some worms rather (I only wonder why AVG can't see them - could it be the new version is ****ed right now?)
            So basically I'm looking for something that will work for sure when I get there tommorow morning (trend micro online scan is a good start I guess...)

Comment

Be sure you turn off message services before you even go on-line.
              You were told - Sasq

Comment

umm scuse me if i'm taking you in the wrong direction here but you might wana check the good ole device manager and make sure you dont need to install your device drivers, i.e. mobo chipset lan etc. let us know how you make out.....

Comment

Download:Go through the settings on both and set them to scan everything at maximum. Might want to uninstall AVG before installing Kaspersky, since on my system it'll lock hard with both NOD and Kaspersky installed. *edit* I'd also recommend downloading an outbound blocking software firewall such as Sygate Personal.

Let me also add to Marvel's suggestion that the user might be the virus. After running the above two programs, do a Windows repair install and let it fix anything that's been "corrupted".
                  Last edited by isochar; 28 November 2004, 11:43.

Comment

@Nowhere: just reinstall win xp to be sure. don't connect it to the internet/network until you have it booted up completely and it's firewall is active on all network connections.

THEN, just go to windowsupdate and install everything.

You can also get these free tools:
                    AVG 7.0 Free (be sure to enable scanning all files in the complete test settings)
                    Ad-Aware Personal SE
                    Spybot Search & Destroy (although Ad-Aware is generally more efficient, S&D can help you complete your search for spyware)
                    Spywareblaster (to block 3000+ "bad" websites from installing stuff on your PC)
                    HiJackThis! (to help clean up IE from time to time, but you need to be familiar with what can or cannot be installed on your PC)

Comment

Well, it's clean...as I said, no spyware at all (at least - none of the antispyware programs suggested here (and some other) detected anything)
                      The only thing that was found at the end was some worm by one of the antivirus programs...and that still didn't cure the problem. Norton cleaning tools also failed...so it'll remain a mystery.
                      But I found the time after all to do reinstall, but this time I was able to download sp2 BEFORE installation (computer was offline because of nasties before...and it was the only one (that I have acces to) with speedy enough connection to download SP2 in reasonable time...), so no problems arose...

Thanks for help/suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by capt. marvel
                        umm scuse me if i'm taking you in the wrong direction here but you might wana check the good ole device manager and make sure you dont need to install your device drivers, i.e. mobo chipset lan etc. let us know how you make out.....
                        don't be silly...

Comment

don't be silly...

????????????

are you saying that suggesting that you make sure your device drivers are installed when you install an OS and THE CD DRIVE AND LAN ARE MISSING is silly as apposed to assuming its a spyware infestation?????

Comment

I'm sorry I just read you'r sig....nevermind

Comment

You've treated me like an idiot IMHO; I, by saying "don't be silly" have treated you much better...so stop whining

Comment

Working...
                              X