Christmas Shopping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nope its on its own IRQ.
    Turning off Array Acceleration didn't help either.

The only other thing i can do is modify the read/write times (currently set to 50:50)
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

• Did you update all the firmware and drivers for the server and the array controller?
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

• yes

Still no joy
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

• right, gonna try setting the write cache to 0.

I've just won this Should go nicely with four 400GB drives

Comment

• I am looking for four ATA 100 hard drives.
            I thought that there were 400GB Hitachis out there, but perhaps they are only SATA.

What would you go for? the WD 250GB?

Comment

• The 400GB Hitachi IDE has just hit the vendor channels about 2 weeks ago. It IS out there, but supply may be low. Plus, the 400GB are still commanding a price premium.

Go with the 200GB Seagates. You can get them for $60-$80 in the States lately.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

• Cool! They are £60-£80 here!

As I will be using RAID 5, four 200GB drives will give me a total of 600GB, whereas four 400GB drives will give me a total of 1.2TB

It would be nice to get as much space as possible, as I wont be upgrading in the foreseeable future...

Comment

• The 300GB Maxtors aren't a bad price here ($150), then. And they have 16MB buffers.

You'd do better getting 4x200GB drives now. I'm sure you won't fill them up before the 400GB and larger drives become affordable. Or even doing 2x400GB RAID1. You could buy the other two 400GBers when the first is full.
                  Last edited by Wombat; 4 January 2005, 17:25.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

• Cheers... Unfortunately, I can feel shivers down my spine at the thought of using a Maxtor/Hitachi. Have the drives improved much in this incarnation?

Comment

• It might be a while before you can get a 400GB Seagate. Just sayin'

Comment

• here is a 400, I don't know if its availble yet

Seagate helps the world store more data and harness its potential with breakthrough cloud storage services, systems, hard drives, solid state drives, and end-to-end data management solutions.

Maybe that's why they offer 5year warranties, as they arn't pushing densities a bit to fast like ibm..etc did

Comment

• Storagereview rate both the 300GB MaxLine III, and the Hitachi - so I guess they cant be that bad... not that i'd thake their opinion over yours!

Comment

Working...
                          X